title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

trouble adding tracks with same song names

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff
    • Jun 2003

trouble adding tracks with same song names

I am experiencing trouble with songs from different CDs that are different versions of the same song by the same artist. I rip the tracks but they won't be added to MMC collection because it says that I already have the track.

I noticed the problem with a David Bowie CD, Bowie at the Beeb, which contains live/alternative versions of a number of songs from his other albums. For example, Track 1, CD 2 is The Supermen. When I try to add this to MMC, it just says, no, you already have that track from the album Hunky Dory. The tracks are different sizes. I tried renaming the tracks and placing them directly into the folders. They are present in my dbMusic folders and I can play the song if I click on it directly from explorer, but MMC will not add the tracks.

I just installed dMC ver 10.1 with the hope that this might help. I like the feature that it plugs directly into MMC, but it still will not place these unique tracks with the same song name into MMC.

I also had this problem recently with a Thorns CD, which has a bonus CD with the entire album, tracked the same way, in an acoustic version! You can imagine that none of it has made in into MMC! I have yet to add all of my live Grateful Dead stuff onto my computer, but given that they have many live CDs with various combinations of the same live songs, it will be a disaster.

Sorry about the length of this post. I guess I am wordy.
    Jeff
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: trouble adding tracks with same song names

For those you can just add something to the filename to make one of the files different, or use dMC arrange music option to put the artist and track name into the filenames.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Jeff
      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Spoon
      For those you can just add something to the filename to make one of the files different, or use dMC arrange music option to put the artist and track name into the filenames.
      Yeah, the weird thing is that I actually changed the names manually (in Explorer)-for example, I named all the Bowie tracks [track name] BBC or I called the Thorns tracks [track name] acoustic. I still can't get it to be seen by MMC. The artist and track name is in the file name- for example, the file name is "David Bowie - Five Years". That seems to be the problem because then the next song "David Bowie - Five Years" I try to rip, it keeps saying that I already have it in MMC.

In fact, I just back and tried to do it with the choice from dMC Audio CD, options file name [artist]\[album]\[track number xx][artist]-[track]. All my previous files have been just [artist]-[track], no track number, and MMC still refuses to integrate this new file into it.

Has anyone else had this type of problem? I can't believe I am the first person to attempt to get more than one version of the same song by the same artist into MMC.
      Jeff

Comment

• Wayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2002

I must admit that I have experienced this problem. I got round it by creating a new MMC database and importing all the music files again. This allowed me to retain my duplicate tracks without having to changing them. It's not something I'd do again and as the tracks are the same I may remove them entirely.

MMC matches using just Artist's name and track title, the album name is ignored. You will need to rename the track name not how the music is organised within MMC and on your hard drive.

By renaming the track within CD Audio input it should be possible to add 'duplicate' tracks. For example, change "<track name>" to "<track name> (Live version)".
        Last edited by Wayne; February 03, 2004, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>