title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Real media files, and what to encode to?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Real media files, and what to encode to?

Most of my CD's ripped to my computer are .rmj files (real media jukebox). I want to buy an iPOD but it doesnt accept .rmj files so i need to convert them. (.rmj files are the same as .rm files, i just rename them to .rm before i use dBpowerAmp to convert them). Should i convert them to mp3's or mp4? Will the sound quality be good after its been converted from a 264kbps .rmj to a 256kbps mp3? Will the quality still be high? ill only be using normal in ear headphones with the iPOD thatll minimise the quality anyway, but id like to know the audio is high quality if possible. Should i just go for the standard mp3 or for mp4? If i encode a 264kbps rmj to a 128kbps mp4 will the sound quality really be as good as they say? Is there any advantage in using mp4's instead of mp3's apart from a slight lower amount of space that is taken up. I know that the quality from going to a .rmj to a .mp3 both at 256kpbs wont be as good as going from a cd direct to mp3 but it should still sound ok shouldnt it? Also when i rip new cd's to pc should i go direct to mp4? Or is there any other standard that is good? Thanks for the help
  • Unregistered

Re: Real media files, and what to encode to?

oh and it says on the main page that theyre working on an update to the real audio encoder, any news to when itll be out?

Comment

• Unregistered

also, my .rmj collection is 12GB, i want to buy a new ipod mini but it only has a 4GB capacity. How do u reccomend i reduce the filesize from rmj to another format of your choice with the maximum quality?

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
        also, my .rmj collection is 12GB, i want to buy a new ipod mini but it only has a 4GB capacity. How do u reccomend i reduce the filesize from rmj to another format of your choice with the maximum quality?

It is highly unlikely that you will ever reduce 12GB to 4GB with a conversion change. Compressing that much will reduce file quality substantially. .rmj files are already compressed, and Real Media codecs are already lousy (that's my opinion).

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Try mp3, mp4 in my opinion does not like already compressed Audio.

The updated Rm codec is delayed somewhat.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

do u think the new codec will be out by april? When it comes out will it be able to remember tags from rmj's to mp3s?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

If there was a big enough demand for it, then it could be written.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>