title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Convert to .ape adds a little...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • v8juice
    • Jan 2004

Convert to .ape adds a little...

Using Monkeys Audio 3.97 normal compression, a .wav file will compress to 14,104,236 bytes. Right click with dMC & the same .wav file compresses to 14,111,396 bytes. Both .ape files decompressed to the original .wav size... Tried using dMC to convert an .ape file to .shn & back to .ape with the same type of increse in size. Have a bunch of .flac & .shn files I'd like to convert to .ape & was wondering what causes this increase? It's not that much but it seem as if something's being added. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Convert to .ape adds a little...

Are you using the latest Ape version from the Beta section of this forum?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• v8juice
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
      Are you using the latest Ape version from the Beta section of this forum?
      No, the 3.97 version... Downloaded some .shn files yesterday that had md5 files for the .shn's & the .wav files they produced. Using dMC I converted to .wav, they passed the check. When I used dMC to convert the .wav's back to .shn, they failed. Then I used my copy of mkw to compress the .wav's to .shn, they passed the original md5 check. Looks like something"s being changed by dMC... Wish I could use it for converting to .ape but I think I'll stick with the usual way of using flac frontend & mkw to decompress the .wav's & Monkeys Audio to compress. That way I can reproduce results with no changes...

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

• RossRoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2003

Originally posted by v8juice
        When I used dMC to convert the .wav's back to .shn, they failed.
        It's probably only that dMC uses different compression settings than mkw. Shorten, Monkey and Flac being lossless, MD5 is irrelevant after compression/decompression. It's usually just used to make sure the downloaded file is really right because of how the internet protocol works, some parts of the file could be damaged in transit.

Comment

Working...

]]>