title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

volume normalize - what does it mean?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

volume normalize - what does it mean?

What exactly does "volume normalize" do? Is this based on peak level? If so then to what percent of max does it normalize to?

In EAC the normalization option will normalize to 98%, but only if peak level is smaller than 94% or greater than 98%. CDex has something similar.

Can't find this information anywhere in docs.

Regards,
    Bob
  • Philidor
    • Jan 2004

Re: volume normalize - what does it mean?

Not directly answering your question, but to me the best normalization is Mp3Gain:
    Mp3Gain
    Does better than simple ratios.
    I haven't tested dbpowerAMP, but I assume that it uses the more usual approach.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

It does work on Peak values, the Max multiply is justa safety to stop low level noise getting amplified.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Spoon
        It does work on Peak values, the Max multiply is justa safety to stop low level noise getting amplified.
        Okay, that's good info, but I'd still like to know to what percent of max does it normalize to. The reason I'd like to know is, besides dBpowerAMP I also sometimes use other programs and I'd like to be able to normalize to the same level.

Bob

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Philidor
          Not directly answering your question, but to me the best normalization is Mp3Gain:
          Mp3Gain
          Does better than simple ratios.
          Yeah, this appears like the way to go, except it seems to be specific to only mp3's. I mostly encode to Flac or Ogg.

Bob

Comment

• Unregistered

does poweramp normalize automatically. i cannot seem to see any settings asking it to infact normalise tracks,

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

The latest version will try to get 100% ie if the peak value was 68% it will be increased to 100%

The setting should be on the Convert To >> page, if you have the Power Pack installed it will be in the 'DSP effects' button.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>