title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

wma9 compression and volume loss

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Berkeley76
    • Dec 2003

wma9 compression and volume loss

I've been a dbpoweramp user for years, but I have just begun to experiment with wma9 for use with a portable. Problem..... WAV and FLAC files compressed to wma files have lost at least 50% volume from the original. This does not happen with converting to OGG or MP3. Any thoughts?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: wma9 compression and volume loss

Try converting the WMA back to wave, is the volume still lost?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Berkeley76
      • Dec 2003

I reconverted from wma9 to wav and the resulting volume is equal to the original file! I tried updating to version 10 and uninstalled and reinstalled the wma9 codec. No change. The problem is this, all my music is in FLAC and I'm waiting to pick a compression method for a portable (which I don't yet own, mind you). WMA works well for a friend of mine so I thought I'd do some listening tests. It's hard to compare when I have to keep adjusting volume levels during playback. I like the sound of the low bitrate WMAs, but I'm afraid if the are mixed in with other formats (MP3) the lack of normalized volume will be annoying.

I found the problem.... I use winamp for playback.....playback on dbpoweramp's player and the volume is equal. Sorry for the trouble. If you could ever create a crossfader for your player as good as the winamp2 plugin from SqrSoft® Advanced CrossFading v1.7, then I would erect a statue in your honor.
      Last edited by Berkeley76; December 07, 2003, 05:25 AM. Reason: new info

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It will be a bug in winamp if converting back to wave is the same volume.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>