title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Remove Voice From Mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novocasa
    • Dec 2003

Remove Voice From Mp3

I Have Tried To Remove The Voice From A Cd Song Or Mp3 And When Finished And I Try To Listen Then Only Silence It Is Listen.

Can You Explain My How Can I Do Pls.?

Regards
    Manuel
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Remove Voice From Mp3

voive removal is for the original cd. so it really is only good for ro\ipping from an original music cd not an mp3.

Comment

• RossRoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2003

Most voice removal DSPs work on the assumption that the singer's voice is fully on the center channel and the music is spread accross the stereo spectrum.

What happens is that MP3 are often encoded using something called Joint Stereo, which encodes everything on the center channel and computes the differences between the right and left channels seperately. But often, with most music genres where there's a singer, the music is spread accross the stereo spectrum, but the left and right mostly play the exact same thing. So, voice removal doing it'S job of masking the center channel ends up masking the whole song on an MP3.

Now, if when you ripped your CD to MP3 you encoded in full stereo, you wouldn't have the problem.

So, as opposed to what Razgo said, it doesn't apply only to a CD source, just that it applies to STEREO sources, APE, FLAC and shorten would most probably work with the voice removal DSP, as well as any full stereo MP3, WMA, OGG, MPC, MP4 etc. Bear in mind I didn't do any tests on that, I may be wrong, but from what I understand of how voice removal works, it is the logical answer. (Damn me and my Vulcan way :D )

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

i think the only flaw in the mp3 stereo theory is i don't think it keeps the voice in the center when ripped to mp3? as that's the only way for the voice removal to work well.

but maybe it does?

if your theory works out to ne correct then a good idea if you add it to the FAQ section.

thanks Rossroy.

Comment

• RossRoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2003

Well in theory, this would have to be confirmed by somebody that understand how codecs work, it should keep the voice in the center. I mean, it's already in the center, and from what I understand of just about any codec, is that they don't change the stereo image, unless you tell it to join both left and right channels.

Maybe I should stop talking from a theoretical stand point and just test it out

Be back in a few minutes with the test results.

Comment

• RossRoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2003

Well! I am baffled! VoiceRemoval worked on everything except, as was to be expected, on the mono source.

What I am shocked at is that it didn't do anything to my mono song, instead of removing everything, it's like it didn't run at all.

Anyway, on the APE file it worked flawlessly, same with a stereo MP3 as well as a JointStereo MP3. Like I said before, a mono MP3 source didn't get affected at all, everything was intact.

So, I'm guessing, in the case of our friend here, that his MP3 source must've been stereo, but, the mastering tapes used for the CD were probably mono, or, even if the mastering tapes were stereo, all of the instrument ended up dead center (which very improbable). Either way, his source had to be stereo, else dbAMP's Karaoke DSP doesn't do anything, but the music itself could be mono but stored as stereo, seeing as a CD has to be stereo anyway.

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

so the bottom line is if the original source is in stereo and provided the original recording used voice in the center then it will all work.

Comment

Working...

]]>