title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Errors trying to decode MP3 Lame

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Emby
    • Dec 2017

Errors trying to decode MP3 Lame

I've got the 64-bit version of dBpoweramp Reference R15.3 installed, running under 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, Build 1703. I'm trying to use the Music Converter on an MP3 source file which MediaInfo reports the codec as "LAME3.98r"

But no matter what I do, every time I try to use the Converter to convert it to basic .wav format, I get the following error:
    Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]
    Error converting to Wave, 'C:\Users\nnn\Music\Short Sounds\mp3\Pew_Pew-DKnight556-1379997159.mp3' to 'C:\Users\nnn\Music\Short Sounds\mp3\Pew_Pew-DKnight556-1379997159.wav'

Error: Unable to load decoder for file type '.mp3', codec not installed? visit 'Codec Central'.  [dBCoreConverter::dBCoreConverter]
    [/FONT]
    Here's what the Debug log reported:
    Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]Splitting Command Line:Done
    ->->  [dBCoreConverter::ReaddBCommandFile]
    <-<-  [dBCoreConverter::ReaddBCommandFile]
    Decodes  [clDecoder::Get]
    ->->  [clDecoder::Close]
    <-<-  [clDecoder::Close]
    Decodes  [clDecoder_Opus::Get]
    Decodes  [clDecoder_Opus::Get]
    *** Error: Error: Unable to load decoder for file type '.mp3', codec not installed? visit 'Codec Central'.  [dBCoreConverter::dBCoreConverter]
    [/FONT]
    Since it appears that, for whatever reason, the Lame MP3 decoder was not installed, I downloaded the latest Windows binaries from here: LAME 3.100 64bit

The original filename was "lame_enc.dll". I copied this file to: "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\decoder", and I made copies of this file and renamed them to: "lame.dll" and "mp3.dll" (that is, the same file with each of those three names exist in the decoder folder).

Yet I still get the exact same error messages! I tried re-installing the whole thing, but that didn't make any difference.

What is my problem, and how do I correct it?

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Errors trying to decode MP3 Lame

The mp3 decoder is part of dBpoweramp, try reinstalling dBpoweramp, if still not working, it is likely your security software has deleted the mp3.dll decoder file.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Emby
      • Dec 2017

Re: Errors trying to decode MP3 Lame

Originally posted by Spoon
      The mp3 decoder is part of dBpoweramp, try reinstalling dBpoweramp, if still not working, it is likely your security software has deleted the mp3.dll decoder file.
      Thank you for your reply. I completely un-installed and re-installed R15.3 (the latest version I own - I can't afford to update), and I examined all the files in the folder: C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\decoder\. All of them are present and none have been blocked or interfered with by any security software. But perhaps the permissions are not set correctly? Here are the permissions for one of them, mp3.dll :

ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES: Read & Read-Execute Only
      ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES: Read & Read-Execute Only
      SYSTEM: All
      Administrators: All
      User: Read & Read-Execute Only

Note also that I'm getting the same error with any other conversion! Here's another Conversion error message:
      Error converting to FLAC, C:\'Song.wav' to 'C:\Song.flac'
      Error: Unable to load decoder for file type '.wav', codec not installed? visit 'Codec Central'. [dBCoreConverter::dBCoreConverter

And another:
      Error converting to Aiff, ' C:\'Song.flac' to 'C:\Song.aiff['
      Error: Unable to load decoder for file type '.flac', codec not installed? visit 'Codec Central'. [dBCoreConverter::dBCoreConverter]

But when I open the installed codec lisst: (i.e., Configure dBpoweramp -> Codec tab), all of these codecs show as installed and also show the correct, latest versions.

Obviously, something's very wrong! I need more help, please.

Thanks
      Last edited by Emby; 01-11-2018, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Emby
        • Dec 2017

SOLVED: Errors trying to decode MP3 Lame

The problem is now solved. This time I not only uninstalled dBpoweramp, but all the codecs as well, using Revo Uninstaller Pro. I then scoured through the registry, manually deleting all remaining references (though this step may not have been necessary). After which, I rebooted and re-installed R15.3 and all the codecs and any subsequent updates, upon which everything is working correctly.

Thanks for a great system, Spoon!
        Last edited by Emby; 01-12-2018, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>