title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

unable to convert

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

unable to convert

poweramp was working fine - then all of a sudden i keep getting message saying unable to locate codec - what have i got to do to get it back working again??
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: unable to convert

What is the exact error message please? also what were you converting from and to?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• simplebuck
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
      What is the exact error message please? also what were you converting from and to?
      This same thing happened to me, so I went ahead and registered dbPowerAmp (actually registering the Power Pack it turns out) thinking that the trial period had expired, causing the problem. But the problem is still there.

Message reads:
      The CODEC required to decompress 'E:\WAV music\Brothers Come to Egypt-Joseph & ATD (A.L.Webber).mp3' could not be opened.

This occurs no matter what settings I use. :(

Right now I have a lot of encoding work that is waiting to be done, and I'm stuck.

hope for some help,
      thanks
      simplebuck

Comment

• wizinoz

Same thing happened to me, trying to convert/rip from a CD. Same error msg, except the directory names and song title were changed of course. The upshot is that it was "unable to open" the needed CODEC. What gives? Anybody have a clue?

To SPOON: trying to convert from .CDA (CD audio) to .MP3 ...this was a CD that I had created, of my own original tunes. Also tried with store-bought, commercial CD's, thinking maybe it had something to do with MY stuff, but got the same result..."The CODEC required to compress 'D:\00 Dan demo\mp3\ - Track01.mp3.TEMP.mp3' could not be opened."

One final bit of data: this error occured using an older version of dbPowerAmp Music Converter, so I downloaded the latest version with identical results.

Comment

• unregistered

Unfortunately, I have the same error message. All of a sudden (I use DBpoweramp for a long time and made no changes at all) the message (the codes required to compress ...etcetera) appears and nothing helped. I downloaded the newest versions, reinstalled it, but the message keeps appearing. I usualy use OGG and WMA/WMV as input, output is always MP3-192kbps.

Anyone has a clue?

Comment

• simplebuck
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by unregistered
            Unfortunately, I have the same error message. All of a sudden (I use DBpoweramp for a long time and made no changes at all) the message (the codes required to compress ...etcetera) appears and nothing helped. I downloaded the newest versions, reinstalled it, but the message keeps appearing. I usualy use OGG and WMA/WMV as input, output is always MP3-192kbps.

Anyone has a clue?

I tried downloading some other Codecs from the Codec Central site, installed them, and they all worked fine. The only one that won't work is the MP3 Lame Codec that comes with dbPowerAMP Converter. When I attempt to use this function, the controls appear OK and respond in the usual way (which tells me that the codec is present) but I still get the message saying the codec can't be opened. :(

I'm not a technician, but after using Windows 98 for several years, I've got a hunch this has to do with the codec becoming corrupted, or one of the Microsoft security updates has caused a problem. And I've installed them all.

I believe I've read where Spoon (who I understand is the resident guru here) is on vacation for awhile, so we might not get any answers til he gets back.

Ed
            Louisville KY :cry:

Comment

• Wayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Aug 2002

Have you tried using the Lame executable codec which Spoon created recently?

Wayne

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Wayne
                Have you tried using the Lame executable codec which Spoon created recently?

Wayne

Wayne,
                Thanks for replying,

No. I've only been subscribed for a week or so.

Please direct me / us to the download link for that.

====================================

Also, I've noticed that in Codec Central, it doesn't seem possible to re-download the MP3 Codec that comes with dbPowerAMP Converter.

Maybe it would be helpful to make this original Codec available when / if the Codec gets deleted / corrupted.

Sometimes it's just too much work to re-install dbPowerAMP Converter.

For me, reinstalling anything necessitates yet another Program Files backup session, and the possibility of conflict with other applications.

thanks,
                Ed
                Louisville KY USA

Comment

• Wayne
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Aug 2002

Click this link http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp3-lame.htm to be download the lame executable codec. It uses lame.exe rather than lame_enc.ddl.

Wayne

Comment

• wiz
                    • Mar 2004

Thanks for the link. I tried what you suggested, downloading and running the lame executable. Same results when I try converting. Message still says "...unable to open the codec" Any other suggestions? And does anyone know WHAT codec it is unable to open?

FYI: I have made no changes to my computer that I am aware of. It was working great, now zilch.

*wiz*

Comment

• Wayne
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Aug 2002

Can you convert existing MP3 to other formats? Is it just a problem with encoding MP3s?

Have you tried to completely uninstall everything before attempting a reinstallation of dMC and its codecs?

Wayne

Comment

• wiz
                        • Mar 2004

Wayne,
                        I uninstalled powerAMP as you suggested, rebooted, then reinstalled version 10. It now goes through the motions as though it is converting, but afterwards, when I try to play the mp3's that were created, they do not play as mp3's; the conversion process is not happening properly.
                        Does anyone have any other suggestions? Does anyone have a "ripper" that actually works, or can you tell me where to get one?

*wiz*

Comment

• Wayne
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Aug 2002

You could try CDex?

Wayne

Comment

Working...

]]>