title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Question regarding conversion of 96/24 WAV to 44.1/16 WAV...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twochordcool
    • Feb 2017

Question regarding conversion of 96/24 WAV to 44.1/16 WAV...

I'd like to comfirm something I have read at another forum...

According to what I have read, when converting a 96/24 WAV (previously a 96/24 FLAC) to a 44.1/16 WAV it is important that the 96k sample rate gets converted to a 44.1k sample rate BEFORE the 24 bit depth gets converted to a 16 bit depth...normally two completely different steps?

Is that correct?

...which brings me to dBpoweramp and r8brain, which APPEAR to change the sample rate and the bit depth simultaneously...

Now, someone at the other forum has stated that these programs that APPEAR to do both steps at once actually are designed to change the sample rate first and THEN change the bit rate, EVEN THOUGH it is a one step and done process...Is that correct?

I bought an album as a high quality 96/24 FLAC at HDTracks figuring getting it down to a high quality 44.1k/16 WAV for burning to CD would be relatively simple. But since then I have learned that the simple way of doing it (96/24 FLAC straight to CD with something like CDBurnerXP) would not be the best way for best sound!

Being the picky OCD guy that I am I am now hung up on learning this process and striking a balance between somewhat simple and something that still sounds fantastic!

Finally, dither, it's supposed to be essential but there is no selection for it in dBpoweramp and r8brain...Do these programs just "know what to do" and do it automatically? That would be best for a guy like me anyway - one thing I don't have to worry about doing or worry that it's not getting done but should be!

Thanks!

PS, I am experimenting with Foobar2000 and Fre:ac to change the 96/24 FLAC to a 96/24 WAV prior to using dBpoweramp for sample rate and bit depth conversion...Do you know of simpler freeware that can change FLAC to WAV while keeping it very high quality?
    Last edited by twochordcool; February 08, 2017, 07:21 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Question regarding conversion of 96/24 WAV to 44.1/16 WAV...

Correct do sample rate then bit depth, use the DSP effects, they are processed in top to bottom order.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• twochordcool
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Spoon
      Correct do sample rate then bit depth, use the DSP effects, they are processed in top to bottom order.
      Spoon I appreciate your help but your response was a little too short and vague to be clear.

Does dBpoweramp do this in 2 separate steps AUTOMATICALLY with one pass through, so I just have to run a 96/24 WAV through ONE TIME to get a 44/16 WAV?...

OR

Do I have to

1) run a 96/24 WAV through it ONCE to get a 44/24 WAV, AND THEN

2) run the 44.1k/24 through dBpoweramp manually A SECOND TIME to get a 44.1k/16 WAV?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It does it automatically separately. You do in one conversion.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• twochordcool
          • Feb 2017

Thanks for your help Spoon.

Finally, is dither just converting 24 bit to 16 bit, or do I actually have to select dither? I believe I read in another thread that dBpoweramp has rectangular and triangular or none? I wouldn't for the life of me know what either one does or which one is more appropriate...but something tells me I'd be hard pressed to hear a difference with any of them selected...
          Last edited by twochordcool; February 10, 2017, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

You select dither when reducing bitdepth, triangular is recommended.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>