title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Product advice

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paulisme
    • Nov 2016

Product advice

I was reffered to your site and your products by a colleage. I am interested in your sofware and need more info as to my particular desired setup.
    I would like to move my entire collection of CD's to a lossless format on a external Hard drive or a large capacity thumb drives.
    I have a high end music receiver (USB and HDMI inputs), a Windows 10 tablet (USB inputs and USB outputs, 250GB HD), Thumb drive (250GB capacity)
    Looking for info on how to rip the CD's? What file format? On to which media? Will I see CD cover info in a listing format? Album name and song title etc.?, Can I route this to play through my receiver?
    Looking for advice and help. Thank you. Paul.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Product advice

Many of your questions depend on your player, what it can play, how it is controlled.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Paulisme
      • Nov 2016

Thank you for your prompt reply.
      I am not entirely clear on "Many of your questions depend on your player, what it can play, how it is controlled"
      If you are suggesting a player such as 'PONO' ----I do not have one. I am hoping ripping/controlling Software installed on my tablet will act as the controlling player. Please pardon me if I am lost a bit.
      I forgot to mention that my input device for CD's is an external Blu-ray writer/player, which I hope to use to Rip CD's.
      If I need a specific player please feel free to suggest one. Thank you.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You are intending to play through the Windows Tablet, connected by HDMI to your receiver?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

1. To rip CDs, you'll need a computer that has a drive that will read/play CDs. Then you install dbpoweramp for ripping.
          2. There are many options for players. Could be an ipod, could be your computer running a program that plays digital music, could be a networked music player like a Sonos, Squeezebox, or Roon ready player. Or many other options. The reason this matters is that some players will not play some digital file formats. For example, ipad/ipod/iphone will NOT play FLAC files. Only ALAC, WAV, m4a, mp3.
          3. My suggestion is that when you rip your CDs, no matter what you should create LOSSLESS rips. The main formats would be FLAC, ALAC (apple lossless) or WAV. I wouldn't advise WAV (takes up too much space, no standard tagging, etc.). So if you live in an "apple" world, you might want to use apple lossless. Otherwise, I suggest FLaC as your lossless file format. That's what I use.
          4. I suspect in your case you are planning to use your tablet to *control" the player, but not *be* the player. For example, I use an ipad to control my networked music player (squeezeboxes). But the music itself is stored on a computer's harddrive. The networked music player is sent the music over my network (wifi or wired) from my computer holding the music. The ipad is just letting me control things.

If you're new at this, I understand the above all sounds complicated. But it's really not.
          EDIT: note, I also use my ipad/iphone as a *player* when I'm away from home. For this purpose, I use dbpa to convert my FLAC digital files to mp3 files (which are much smaller). This "mp3 mirror" of my FLAC collection is used to supply files to my portable players.
          Last edited by garym; November 29, 2016, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Paulisme
            • Nov 2016

Thank you for your reply.
            I will be playing through the windows tablet or if it's Processor is not able to handle it, then I will use a Laptop also connected via HDMI or USB.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

then almost any windows media player will work. I recommend foobar2000, but there are many options. In this case, I'd use FLAC files. Rip the CDs and save them on your computer's harddrive or on a USB drive that can be attached to your computer. And make at least one backup copy (I have several backups of my digital music, stored at different locations).

Comment

• Paulisme
                • Nov 2016

Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it. I feel I know the next steps.

Comment

Working...

]]>