title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting from 4.0 to 5.1 (upchannelling)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tweezel
    • Sep 2016

Converting from 4.0 to 5.1 (upchannelling)

I am a long time user of the old free version and have after all these years discovered something. I have a bunch of 4.0 (remember quad from the 1970s?) FLACs that I'm trying to convert to wma, which only supports 5.1. It seems to be creating "fake" center and LFE channels rather than leaving them silent.

I don't think it's the wma codec, because it does the same thing if I go from 4.0 FLAC to 5.1 wave. Just as an experiment, I took a converted 5.1 wave file and manually edited out the C and LFE channels and re-encoded as wma. Perfect.

So, after all that, is this either fixed or is a user option in v16? I'd be more than happy to buy the program, but only if this upchannelling feature is tamed.

Thanks,

Tweezel
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Converting from 4.0 to 5.1 (upchannelling)

There is the DSP effect 'channel mapper' where you can actively specify where each channel goes.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• tweezel
      • Sep 2016

Thanks for the info. I'll upgrade and check it out. Tweeze

Comment

• tweezel
        • Sep 2016

Best $39 I've spent this year! Channel mapper did the trick. Man, it took me a while to figure out what the default mixer did from 4.0 -> 5.1.

Comment

Working...

]]>