title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Distortion in FLAC to WMA conversion. Solution?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WJMad
    • Sep 2016

Distortion in FLAC to WMA conversion. Solution?

Dear fellow dBpoweramp users,

I have recently converted some FLAC files into WMA Lossless, using the codec for 9.2. When I listen to the WMA files, each one has one moment of distortion: some have a single, small pop, while some have one or two seconds of really warping sounds (nearly as bad as an old 56k telephone modem). Meanwhile, the original FLAC files are perfectly fine - it is only the converted WMA files which seem affected. Moreover, it seems as though only files at 48KHz and 96KHz, 24-bit, are affected; 44KHz at 16-bit files seem fine.

Have any of you ever seen this before? Do you have a solution, or a suggestion as to the source of the problem?

Do please let me know. Thank you!

- WJM
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Distortion in FLAC to WMA conversion. Solution?

I can't answer your question, as this *shouldn't* be happening.** But I'm curious as to why you need WMA files. Sort of a dead codec and there are lots of players that run on windows that play FLAC files. Again, just curious.....

EDIT: **I say it shouldn't, but then again, I realize you're talking about hires files, and there are some weird things about WMA hires files based on things I've read....never been a WMS user.
    Last edited by garym; September 08, 2016, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• WJMad
      • Sep 2016

Re: Distortion in FLAC to WMA conversion. Solution?

Dear garym,

I agree, this shouldn't be happening, and it's certainly never happened to me before moving to this new laptop (which otherwise has no issues, that I know of).

I've just converted another album (96KHz, 24 bit), and one of the tracks has distortion, again. I re-convert it from the FLAC file (which is fine), and it reappears in the same spot... The other 18 tracks are unaffected, but that one just won't budge.

- WJM

Comment

Working...

]]>