title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Configuration utiity screws up my file associations

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AttilaTheHun
    • Aug 2016

Configuration utiity screws up my file associations

I'm testing v16 before I buy, and each time I use the configuration utility (particularly the section with the 'file info pop-up' feature) my audio/video file associations reset. Mp3, flac, wav, m4a, wma, mpg/mpeg, ogg........you name it.

I recently upgraded to W10 from W8 and I use the Types.exe program to insert custom icons for my media.

I work with music all the time and I don't want to waste my time opening each file's Properties to see duration info. What prompts me to use the dBpoweramp configuration utility is the fact the info pop-up doesn't show length and other fields when I hover the mouse over m4a, flac and other audio formats like it's supposed to. Something seems to mess with that function, even though the option and "length/duration" fields are enabled in the settings.

This was never an issue in W8. The file info would show properly when I hovered my mouse over flac and other formats and when I changed my file icons with Types.exe, they stuck. The configuration utility never messed with my associations & icons. What's gone wrong this time?
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Configuration utiity screws up my file associations

It's probably the changes in Windows 10, which handles audio files differently to Windows 8, which is why you are seeing these differences.

It's annoying, I know, when the goalposts keep moving.

Comment

• AttilaTheHun
      • Aug 2016

Re: Configuration utiity screws up my file associations

Originally posted by mville
      It's probably the changes in Windows 10, which handles audio files differently to Windows 8, which is why you are seeing these differences.

It's annoying, I know, when the goalposts keep moving.
      First thing I did was uninstall those stupid Zune apps and every other useless app (too many to list). But I think that's where those new default icons come from. Just changed the Configuration tool's compatibility to W8, but I don't feel like test-driving it again.

Comment

Working...

]]>