title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

After converting a Wav collection to FLAC I need to tag the FLACs. How do I do that?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CarlM
    • Dec 2015

After converting a Wav collection to FLAC I need to tag the FLACs. How do I do that?

I have converted an old Naim-ripped Wav collection to FLAC using dBpoweramp, because I don't have a Naim server anymore. The resulting FLAC files contains no metadata, so I need to tag these FLACs to make my collection usable again. How do I do that? I have purchased both dBpoweramp and PerfectTunes from Illustrate, so I assume that I have the tools I need for the task.

The music collection is organized as you normally do. I.e. "Artist" folders containing "Album" folders containing tracks which are named using the track number and song title.

I read at the PerfectTunes part of this forum, than PerfectTunes can't use file names to tag files with titles, but that dBpoweramp can do that.

Please advice.

Thanks

/Carl
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: After converting a Wav collection to FLAC I need to tag the FLACs. How do I do th

Download and install MP3Tag, then use a combination of Actions and Convert Menu >> Filename - Tag, to tag your flacs.

Comment

• CarlM
      • Dec 2015

Re: After converting a Wav collection to FLAC I need to tag the FLACs. How do I do th

Thanks mville,

With that t to my method I can tag my files with track name and track number, but I also need to tag "Album" by using the folder name and "Artist" by using the Artist folder name to be able to navigate my collection when I copy it to my new QNAP which is running Asset. The collection contains about 1000 albums so I would prever to not have to do the process manually...

Can I do this with Perfect Tunes (which I actually purchased along with dBpoweramp to be able to convert and tag this wav-collection) or do I need some other software?

Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Visit codec central above and install the utility codec 'Tag From Filename'
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• CarlM
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Spoon
          Visit codec central above and install the utility codec 'Tag From Filename'
          Thanks. I have installed the codec, but I can't work out how to use it I have looked for it in dBpoweramp, in Batch Converter and in PerfectTUNES, but I can find it. I have read the help page file:///C:/Program%20Files/dBpoweram...name]/help.htm , but I can't work out how to do.

Please advice.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by CarlM
            Thanks. I have installed the codec, but I can't work out how to use it I have looked for it in dBpoweramp, in Batch Converter and in PerfectTUNES, but I can find it. I have read the help page file:///C:/Program%20Files/dBpoweramp/Help/Codec/[Tag%20From%20Filename]/help.htm , but I can't work out how to do.

Please advice.
            you'll use dbpoweramp batch converter and "convert to" the "tag from filename" Utility Codec. within this, you want to setup how it maps the file name/folder name into tags.

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CarlM
              With that t to my method I can tag my files with track name and track number, but I also need to tag "Album" by using the folder name and "Artist" by using the Artist folder name to be able to navigate my collection when I copy it to my new QNAP which is running Asset. The collection contains about 1000 albums so I would prever to not have to do the process manually...
              You can also use MP3Tag to do this. You can create an Action Group containing the following 2 actions:
              1. Format Value, where field is ALBUM and Format string is %_directory%
              2. Format Value, where field is ARTIST and Format string is %_parent_directory%

simples.

Comment

• CarlM
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by mville
                You can also use MP3Tag to do this. You can create an Action Group containing the following 2 actions:
                1. Format Value, where field is ALBUM and Format string is %_directory%
                2. Format Value, where field is ARTIST and Format string is %_parent_directory%

simples.
                Thanks, it worked.

Comment

• CarlM
                  • Dec 2015

Originally posted by garym
                  you'll use dbpoweramp batch converter and "convert to" the "tag from filename" Utility Codec. within this, you want to setup how it maps the file name/folder name into tags.
                  I will try this method too, because I'd like to learn how to do perform this with dBpoweramp.

Now PerfectTUNES is scanning my library to update missing cover art. It will be interesting to see how that works.

Comment

Working...

]]>