title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

set up

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nat
    • Oct 2015

set up

Just downloaded the dBp.
    Started reading all the blurb, and got confused.
    Yet when I inserted CD, .... Flac was ticked as was compression 5 which is what I want for a Qnap which will arrive next week.
    Is there anything else I need to set up or has it all been done for the latest update?
    For instance sound levels that I read somewhere had to be set to ensure all downloads were at the same level??
    Did anyone else read all the start up info, or just crack on??
    Go easy, Im an old fart, a complete non technofobe, with a mind as sharp as a blunt pencil!!!!!
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: set up

What is the purpose of ripping your CDs and storing them on The Qnap?

What platform is dBpoweramp installed?

Comment

• Nat
      • Oct 2015

OK I will try the best I can.
      I have a CD collection I wish to listen to by wifi.
      I have ordered a nas and a streamer to play them through my speakers in hifi system.
      Today I installed dbp on a windows 7 laptop, and inserted a CD and just ripped it to the computer to try it out.
      what I think I am asking is, is the same process used to get the CDs onto the nas, and do any other adjustments to settings need making.

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Nat
        I have ordered a nas and a streamer to play them through my speakers in hifi system.
        Today I installed dbp on a windows 7 laptop, and inserted a CD and just ripped it to the computer to try it out.
        what I think I am asking is, is the same process used to get the CDs onto the nas, and do any other adjustments to settings need making.
        Firstly, I would say yes, other adjustments to settings do need making. The ripping process is not just insert CD, press rip button and voila, I have my audio library. It is possible to use this approach, but IMO, you won't get what you need in terms of a well tagged audio library, which is what you'll need for trouble-free streaming.

I don't rip directly to a nas. I rip my CDs on my PC, to my local hard disk, making any further tweaks to the metadata (tag data) on this local audio library.

Then, when I am happy I sync the audio library to the target hard disk(s), which in your case would be the nas.

As I understand it, your CDs will be ripped to flac, stored on the nas and you are going to stream this audio library over Wi-Fi.

Before ripping any CDs, CDRipper needs to be configured for use with your main optical drive as does the AccurateRip feature of CDRipper. Also, I would familiarise yourself with the settings in CDRipper >> Options as best you can. There is help at the top of the main CDRipper window (white question mark on a red button) which is worth having a look at.

Will you be ripping your CDs on the Windows laptop?

What is important is to get the metadata right before ripping. This is achieved by Reviewing the metadata and making any necessary changes in the Meta tab section (bottom centre section of main CDRipper window) prior to ripping.

In terms of volume levels, I recommend you use the ReplayGain DSP in CDRipper. Help for this DSP is available here on these forums.

I hope this doesn't sound too daunting, but it is worth getting your workflow clear in your mind, before proceeding to rip hundreds of CDs. Remember, all the help you need is available here, on these forums.

Comment

• Nat
          • Oct 2015

Thanks ever so much. You have given me a start point and a direction. Ill start reading and have a look at your suggestions, but Ill probably be back for more help.
          Thanks again.

Comment

• Nat
            • Oct 2015

mville. I have set the gain to Track and album EBU R128. When I have ripped a CD and looked at the track content, on some CDs its at 1.08db and on another -2.12 db. Is that because These are compensation numbers, for each CD that then makes them all the same volume when played?
            On the ultra secure settings I put a disc in as requested with a black triangle and the result was,' CD pointers detected for error correction and pressed OK?
            I just need to find accurip now....
            Am I correct so far?
            I also need to understand this offset set up now....more reading!!!!
            Thanks for the help

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

You are getting there. Replaygain writes ID Tags for a compatible player to alter the volume to a reference level, 1.08 db increases the volume, -2.12 decreases for that track.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Nat
                I have set the gain to Track and album EBU R128. When I have ripped a CD and looked at the track content, on some CDs its at 1.08db and on another -2.12 db. Is that because These are compensation numbers, for each CD that then makes them all the same volume when played?
                Yes. ReplayGain calculates the Track Gain (the loudness of each track) and the Album Gain (the loudness of the whole Album) and writes these values as tags in your audio files. ReplayGain compatible media players will read the tags, and adjust the volume accordingly, so audio is played back at the same volume level.

Originally posted by Nat
                On the ultra secure settings I put a disc in as requested with a black triangle and the result was,' CD pointers detected for error correction and pressed OK?
                I just need to find accurip now....
                Am I correct so far?
                I also need to understand this offset set up now....more reading!!!!
                It looks like you are on the right track, however, it is such a long time since I configured my Optical Drive and AccurateRip and with a much older version of CDRipper, that I can't remember the configuration steps involved.

... oh, I see Spoon has already replied to you, great, keep going
                Last edited by mville; October 12, 2015, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Nat
                  • Oct 2015

On latest version Accurip didn't send a message asking if I wanted my offset finding, however, its filled in, the box, and I have sent updates to accurip that came up in the box before sending that said all the information was correct. Ripping seems ok.Is this correct>

Also, so far I have never encountered several rips to get a CD ripped as OK, I'm not complaining but is that normal as I read some people have five or six before its ok.?
                  Thanks ever so much for your help.
                  I think I'm there ???????
                  Last edited by Nat; October 12, 2015, 08:30 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Nat
                    On latest version Accurip didn't send a message asking if I wanted my offset finding, however, its filled in, the box, and I have sent updates to accurip that came up in the box before sending that said all the information was correct. Ripping seems ok.Is this correct>

Also, so far I have never encountered several rips to get a CD ripped as OK, I'm not complaining but is that normal as I read some people have five or six before its ok.?
                    Thanks ever so much for your help.
                    I think I'm there ???????
                    yep, all ok. regarding not needing multiple attempts, it will happen eventually. I've ripped thousands of disks. One day I can sit at my desk and rip 40 CDs in a row and everyone is accuraterip match and good on first try. Another session, I may have 30 or 40% of the CDs have issues (take multiple tries, require me to attempt to rip using a different drive, etc.).

Comment

• Nat
                      • Oct 2015

Thanks to everyone who has helped.
                      I will probably be back with more questions as I progress.
                      When my CAT 5 hard wire is installed and the Nas in place I hope I will report back, which should be late this week.
                      Thanks.

Comment

Working...

]]>