title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

What's the best format to backup a new cd

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ga12ry
    • Oct 2003

What's the best format to backup a new cd

I am new to the world of ripping cd’s etc. I am wondering what is the best format is to rip a new cd in for storage and future conversion into another format when I choose a player. I want to maintain the quality of the original in storage. Can I rip it as is, I think its CDA format?? I don’t see that option.

Thanks
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: What's the best format to backup a new cd

for storage i guess the best would be wav but they are extremly large and you can't id tag them.

however this is where lossless codecs come into play. as they archive the file just like a zip file and can be played from the zip file and then later converted to an mp3 retaining the original quality.

codec central to find all the lossless codec: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

i like to use either monkey's codec or flac.

Comment

• Ga12ry
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Razgo
      for storage i guess the best would be wav but they are extremly large and you can't id tag them.

however this is where lossless codecs come into play. as they archive the file just like a zip file and can be played from the zip file and then later converted to an mp3 retaining the original quality.

codec central to find all the lossless codec: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

i like to use either monkey's codec or flac.
      Thanks... where does an image of a disk fit in, I suppose its huge???

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Thanks... where does an image of a disk fit in, I suppose its huge???
        not sure what you mean? disk imaging is usually something to do with creating an image of a cd using burning software like nero.

Comment

• RossRoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2003

A CD image, like you imply wanting to do for archiving, will will take up 700 or so megs per CD (assuming the disc is full, which is rarely the case) whereas in the case of Flac or Monkey Audio, you can expect around 2:1 compression on average.

You could always go for WAV, but like Razgo said, there's no tagging ability.

As for disc imaging, you would have to mount the image in a virtual CD drive and sort of re rip it to another format when you decide on which player to get.

So in short, you are bettre with Monkey or Flac

Comment

• Ga12ry
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by RossRoy
            A CD image, like you imply wanting to do for archiving, will will take up 700 or so megs per CD (assuming the disc is full, which is rarely the case) whereas in the case of Flac or Monkey Audio, you can expect around 2:1 compression on average.

You could always go for WAV, but like Razgo said, there's no tagging ability.

As for disc imaging, you would have to mount the image in a virtual CD drive and sort of re rip it to another format when you decide on which player to get.

So in short, you are bettre with Monkey or Flac
            Thanks...

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

ah i see the image was for archiving too. but at least with monkey's or flac you can play them anytime.

Comment

Working...

]]>