title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Lower Bitrates

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miss_behavin_24
    • Dec 2002

Lower Bitrates

I have a lot of songs that I have downloaded and I want to burn them to CD. I was told that it is best to burn them at 128kbs. Most of the songs I have downloaded are all either 192kbs or 256kbs. When I converted them to 128kbs and then burned them it completely screwed the song up. Some come out really loud and others you can barely hear and you can't even understand the words in pretty much all of them. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to make them 128kbs and still have them sound good when I burn them or is there a better bitrate to change them to instead? Thanks A Lot!!
  • Dio
    • Sep 2003

Re: Lower Bitrates

Why dont you burn then with the higher BitRate???
    You will get better Audio quality if you Burn then in higher bitrates!!!

Dio

Comment

• miss_behavin_24
      • Dec 2002

As I said I was told it was best to burn them at 128kbs. I burned them at the higher bitrate once before and ended up with some that were really loud and some that you could barely here as well.

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

are you burning an audio cd? or making an mp3 cd?

either way it's best to leave them as they are. transcoding an mp3 will produce a slightly lesser quality mp3.

Comment

• Unregistered

You'll find many mp3files come in at different volume levels, but there's no need to worry - download a little program called mp3gain, and run your compilation through it to adjust the volume of each song to achieve an overall audio balance. The program is freeware, and available from: http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain.
          Setting volume levels with this application has no effect on the audio quality. Happy listening!

Comment

• RossRoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2003

Will somebody ever create an OGGgain app? My whole collection is OGG now and I'd really like to be able to make them all sound about the same volume.

Because let's just say that when it switches from a slow and quiet sonata to a very bouncy tito puente latino song, it renders me deaf for a few seconds there!

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

does the "auto volume normalize" in MMC work for you? it is non destructive. drop down--add music-->new track preferences.

Comment

• RossRoy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2003

Originally posted by Razgo
                does the "auto volume normalize" in MMC work for you?
                It works.. To a certain extent. Seeing as I listen mostly to classic, normalization is unreliable on classical music because usually, there's always a volume peak at 100% on every song, even if 99.9% of the song is around 30% of max volume.

Comment

• Razgo
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

perhaps when spoon introduces directx plug in capability there might be some third party applications that can do it.

otherwise the only other way i know is to burn them and re rip using adaptive normalization which is destructive. but could end up with same problem with classical? hmmmmm.... i might do some mozart ripping testing.

Comment

• RossRoy
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2003

I did some adaptive normalization on my own, and the volume does stay at a somewhat constant level, but sometimes, volume will drop for no apparent reason.

Say after a quiet part, the song goes loud so the volume drops slowly as the music gets louder, so as to keep the volume constant, but then, once the crescendo in the music is fully in effect and the whole orchestra is blasting away at full power, then the volume will drop noticeably, for no reason seeing as it's supposed tu have adapted as the volume was rising..

Comment

• Razgo
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

ok, i also have only just realized adaptive normalization can be done by converting ogg to ogg without having to re rip from cd. i didn't know that until now :D

i am guessing you have tried many settings to see what might work for the adaptive normalization? i haven't messed with it much myself.

Comment

• RossRoy
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2003

So far, I found that window size 3000 msec, with 80% max volume and 20x maximum amplification works best.

1000 msec for the window size takes forever to normalise and doesn't give that great a result, and the default 6000 msec gives too much sudden drops/heights to the volume because the window is too big, so you are like 5 seconds into a quiet part, yet it still takes into account the loud part that was 5 seconds ago, so it doesn't raise the volume.

Comment

Working...

]]>