title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Apple Lossless bitrate and Sonos

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skavan
    • Apr 2008

Apple Lossless bitrate and Sonos

Hi,

I just converted 6,000 files from wma lossless to apple lossless (alac) so I could use them in my Sonos player. Unfortunately, a large chunk of them fail, because their bitrate is higher than the 1411kbps allowed. How can I deal with this issue? It seems the failing ones all converted over at 24bit.

Regards,

s.
    Last edited by skavan; May 24, 2014, 09:37 PM.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Apple Lossless bitrate and Sonos

Originally posted by skavan
    Hi,

I just converted 6,000 files from wma lossless to apple lossless (alac) so I could use them in my Sonos player. Unfortunately, a large chunk of them fail, because their bitrate is higher than the 1411kbps allowed. How can I deal with this issue? It seems the failing ones all converted over at 24bit.

Regards,

s.
    Are the wma lossless files you converted 16/44.1 files (redbook CD rips) or were they 24/96 or 24/192. (or even 16/44.1 that were upconverted to 24/96, as some folks have been known to do). Sonos won't deal with high-res files. If in fact they are 24/96 or 24/192, there are DSP tools within dbpa that will allow you to convert to Apple Lossless and convert them to 16/44.1 at the same time.
    Last edited by garym; May 25, 2014, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Re: Apple Lossless bitrate and Sonos

I would add that if, by chance, these are actually upconverted from redbook (i.e., not originally purchased as hi-res music), I'd probably re-rip the originals rather than just convert them. I may be wrong about this, and someone correct me if I am, but I'd think the "down-conversion" will yield a slightly different file than the original. Probably not even enough to be audible, but still....

Comment

Working...

]]>