title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Invalid WAV converting FLAC to wav

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aleg
    • Jul 2010

Invalid WAV converting FLAC to wav

Hello mr Spoon

For an album FLAC-files I downloaded from Qobuz I get invalid wav when converted with DBPAMC.

Trying to view the WAV-header with WAVEInfo shows:

When doing the conversion with commandline flac -d (flac version 1.2.1) it does give proper header info

A program for digital room correction cannot handle the wav with invalid header info, this is what triggered my search. The corrupted wav can be played normally though.

If wanted I can send a dropbox link with original flac and both corrupted wav and correct wav.

Cheers

Aleg
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Invalid WAV converting FLAC to wav

All wave files must start with RIFF if they do not then it is an invalid wave file, there might be programs which skip past this, dBpoweramp will not.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• aleg
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
      All wave files must start with RIFF if they do not then it is an invalid wave file, there might be programs which skip past this, dBpoweramp will not.
      Hi Spoon

I understand that.

But in thus case it is dBPoweramp that created the first file with the invalid wav-header from a valid FLAC file.
      So FLAC--> dBPoweramp --> invalid wav-file

The second screendump with the proper wav-header was created with flac commandline decoder.
      So FLAC --> FLAC-commandline--> proper wav-file

It is the only set of FLAC files from one album (downloaded from Qobuz) from hunderds of albums I converted.
      I never have had problems ever with conversion to wav.

Cheers
      Aleg

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Please send the FLAC and wave file:

Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• aleg
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
          Please send the FLAC and wave file:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm
          Mail sent

Aleg

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

All files in your drop box were valid files, I loaded the wave files in to audacity an editor, Windows Media Player, and ran a dBpoweramp Audio CRC on it and it was all valid:

Code:
            CRC32		MD5					Filename

ADE92CB0	78EC5C90FDFFC3EC726A70A03649EAE6	Z:\t1.wav
            ADE92CB0	78EC5C90FDFFC3EC726A70A03649EAE6	Z:\1-01. Violin Sonata in A Major, CFF123I. Allegretto ben moderato.wav
            ADE92CB0	78EC5C90FDFFC3EC726A70A03649EAE6	Z:\1-01. Violin Sonata in A Major, CFF123I. Allegretto ben moderato.flac
            I am guessing the program which says is invalid because 1-01. Violin Sonata in A Major, CFF123I. Allegretto ben moderato.wav has a bext tag (between the format tag and start). The file is still valid, however poor tools will expect certain chunks at certain locations. To stop the bext tag being witten, use the DSP effect ID Tag processing and drop the Label tag.
            Last edited by Spoon; December 26, 2013, 10:51 PM.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• aleg
              • Jul 2010

Hi mr Spoon

Thank you for checking. The files could indeed be played back each time. Also Adobe Audition could read the files but reported strange metadata like 44.1/24-bit files with 32-bit floating point data while it wasn't 32-bit floating point.

It was both the program that does digital room correction and also the wavinfo program that had problems processing it because of the strange header structure.

I will drop the specific tag as you suggested.

Thank you again.

Aleg

Comment

Working...

]]>