title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Conversion sound quality on compressed files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Des E Bell
    • Oct 2013

Conversion sound quality on compressed files

When converting .wav files to compressed files such as CCITT A-Law 8.000 kHz, 8 Bit, Mono, there is an audible increase in background noise. Even allowing for the fact that this format is for telephone use, the quality is unacceptable. I was getting better results using an old version of dBpoweramp, and am using another converter which is noise free. I am using dBpoweramp Music Converter Release 14.4 Has anyone else experienced this? It can't be right.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Conversion sound quality on compressed files

Use the DSP effect 'resample' set to 8KHz
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Des E Bell
      • Oct 2013

I used the DSP 'resample" set to 8kHz but it didn't make any difference to the quality, it's still noisier than the old version.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

We do not supply the encoder for CCITT as it is part of the OS, the encoder could be different from Windows 95, XP, Windows 7
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Des E Bell
          • Oct 2013

Thanks Spoon for info, but I was and continue to convert on XP. Plus I get a less noisy result using another converter on the same PC. It doesn't particularly worry me, but thought you should know about it, in case you want to look into it one day.

Comment

Working...

]]>