title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Good Free Itunes Music Converter (MP4 to MP3)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbzong01
    • Oct 2013

Good Free Itunes Music Converter (MP4 to MP3)?

So i just got a new cellphone and i want to put all my itunes songs that i bought on to it. I know how to do that part but what i need is a good music converter that can easily convert itunes (MP4 music) to MP3 format so the music can be loaded onto the phone. I have found numerous music converter downloads that will complete my need, however the catch for most of them is that you must pay for the program. Can someone please show me a good FREE music converter that can re-format itunes songs.
  • jfkaess
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2005

Re: Good Free Itunes Music Converter (MP4 to MP3)?

Sorry. This is kind of like logging onto Microsoft's web site to ask advice about which iPad to get. dbpoweramp is the best way to make conversions between formats, but you should pay the guy who spends his life writing and updating the software for us.

However, let me just add that converting ANY music file from one lossy format to another lossy format is a horrendous mistake. Your resulting file will be significantly worse in audio quality than the file you started with. You can convert easily from a lossless format like FLAC or Apple Lossless to any lossy format like mp3 or AAC, but once you are there, you can't convert to another lossy format without losing audio quality. You should have thought about this before choosing your new phone.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jfkaess
      Sorry. This is kind of like logging onto Microsoft's web site to ask advice about which iPad to get. dbpoweramp is the best way to make conversions between formats, but you should pay the guy who spends his life writing and updating the software for us.

However, let me just add that converting ANY music file from one lossy format to another lossy format is a horrendous mistake. Your resulting file will be significantly worse in audio quality than the file you started with. You can convert easily from a lossless format like FLAC or Apple Lossless to any lossy format like mp3 or AAC, but once you are there, you can't convert to another lossy format without losing audio quality. You should have thought about this before choosing your new phone.
      generally agree with all your comments. But I take it he only has m4a files purchased via itunes and his phone only plays mp3 files so he's sorta stuck. If you convert to mp3 using a high bit rate you're not likely to notice much if any difference (particularly in the context of phone listening). I'd suggest using LAME -V0 for my mp3 settings. Check out foobar2000 for possible conversion use. And do KEEP the m4a files for use on your home system, etc. Or change phones? Obviously iphones will work. But I thought android phones would play m4a files too. Not sure.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

I would suggest that the OP double-check which audio formats his new phone can accept. AAC is a very commonly-supported format, so his phone may very well take the songs as-is. This is definitely the best option, if available, because converting between lossy formats will always degrade the audio somewhat.

Comment

Working...

]]>