title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can't get Music Converter to read FLAC on W98SE

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Can't get Music Converter to read FLAC on W98SE

I'm not sure if this a problem with the Music Converter, the FLAC codec plugin, or something odd on my W98SE machine.

Basically, I have downloaded and installed the Converter and the FLAC codec on 3 different machines: W2K, WMe, and W98SE. The first two behave like you expect... the Converter can read & write FLAC files. But on the W98SE machine, the Converter ends up only being able to *write* FLAC files, not *read* them.

When I check the configuration, it shows FLAC registered as a compression codec, but no hint of FLAC appears as an input codec. If I right-click on a .flac file, no "Convert To..." menu item appears. If I try to force the Converter into opening a .flac file, the conversion process just shows "unsupported format" errors.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the dB stuff too many times to count now. Even deleted the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Illustrate or whatever registry key I saw mentioned in another thread. Can't get it to work.

Help?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Have a look where dbpoweramp is installed to, there should be \multiplayer\input\flac.dll

is it there?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Yep, it's there. All 3 machines look the same, as far as that folder goes.

I have also tried installing the Ogg Vorbis codec and it looks the same on all 3 machines. Difference is, it also works on all 3 machines.

I've also tried installing the two Win98 updates mentioned somewhere on the website (DCOM update and COMCTL update). Only one of them installed, the other said I already had the update. No difference to my problem in the end, though.

What else can I look for?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Fixed it, a dll was missing. Redownload and install the Flac codec as it now includes it.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

That was it! Many thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...

]]>