title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Apple Lossless iPod Issues

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tardy

• May 2013

Apple Lossless iPod Issues

I have been trying to convert music to Apple Lossless however whenever I try to move the music onto my iPod I get an error message that it will not work "because it cannot be played on this iPod." I have an iPod Touch 4th Gen and it looks like it supports Apple Lossless so I am not sure what the hangup is. Can anyone give me some pointers . . . I had heard that dbPowerAmp was the way to go for converting to Apple Lossless. Thanks for any help.
  • dbfan
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Jan 2011

Re: Apple Lossless iPod Issues

Try creating 1 apple lossless file with itunes (rip a disc) and see if it can play it.

Comment

• Tardy

• May 2013

Originally posted by mrspoonsi
      Try creating 1 apple lossless file with itunes (rip a disc) and see if it can play it.
      I created a file by ripping a song from a disc using iTunes with their Apple Lossless codec and it imports into my iPod Touch 4th Gen with no issues and plays on the iPod with no issues.

I created a file from the same track by using the dbPowerAmp CD Ripper and the Apple Lossless codec and it imports into my iPod Touch 4th Gen with no issues.

This seems to be specifically an issue with conversion of FLAC files to Apple Lossless. As a matter of fact, I tested a normal .MP3 conversion to Apple Lossless and that worked without a hitch as well.

To be clear, I have tried many FLAC files from different sources and this issue has been consistent. Not sure what to do at this point. Here is some of the info from one of the source FLAC's . . . . not sure if it is helpful at all.

Channels 2 (stereo)
      Sample Rate 96 KHz;
      Sample Size 24 bit
      Bit Rate 4,608 kbps (DVD)
      Encoder FLAC reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917
      Encoder Settings
      Audio Quality Perfect (Lossless)
      Channel Mapping
      Type FLAC Audio File [.flac]

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru

• Nov 2007

Originally posted by Tardy
        I created a file by ripping a song from a disc using iTunes with their Apple Lossless codec and it imports into my iPod Touch 4th Gen with no issues and plays on the iPod with no issues.

I created a file from the same track by using the dbPowerAmp CD Ripper and the Apple Lossless codec and it imports into my iPod Touch 4th Gen with no issues.

This seems to be specifically an issue with conversion of FLAC files to Apple Lossless. As a matter of fact, I tested a normal .MP3 conversion to Apple Lossless and that worked without a hitch as well.

To be clear, I have tried many FLAC files from different sources and this issue has been consistent. Not sure what to do at this point. Here is some of the info from one of the source FLAC's . . . . not sure if it is helpful at all.

Channels 2 (stereo)
        Sample Rate 96 KHz;
        Sample Size 24 bit
        Bit Rate 4,608 kbps (DVD)
        Encoder FLAC reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917
        Encoder Settings
        Audio Quality Perfect (Lossless)
        Channel Mapping
        Type FLAC Audio File [.flac]
        do you have the problem with converting a regular FLAC file (16/44.1 file) to Apple Lossless. That is, maybe the problem is that FLAC file above is a hires file (24/96).

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

The ipod does not support 24 bit 96 KHz, use the DSP effects 'Bit Depth' and 'Resample'to go to 16 bit 44.1KHz
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
            dBpoweramp Guru

• Sep 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
            The ipod does not support 24 bit 96 KHz
            Bingo. :D

For all the fuss about higher resolution music, I've found that (a) it's more trouble than it's worth because device support is so sketchy, and (b) I can't hear a difference from properly-ripped red book anyway.

Comment

Working...

]]>