title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

All converted files in my iTunes library have been labelled "Explicit" by iTunes 11

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: All converted files in my iTunes library have been labelled "Explicit" by iTunes

Originally posted by ripadeedoodah
    I'm sorry but this is like a foreign language to me. What's codec central and where do I install this codec? But most important of all, can I do all this on a Mac? Because my first problem is getting my entire library back into Windows again.

Speaking of which, I suddenly had a (very obvious) thought this morning. All my problems would be solved if there were a simple way of editing the library tags on a Mac. Does anyone know of an an easy-to-use tag editor that will fix this problem on a Mac?
    Yes. Several including iTunes itself.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Re: All converted files in my iTunes library have been labelled "Explicit" by iTunes

I believe dbpa can be installed on your Mac using WINE?

Mp3tag is excellent and folks have it running on a Mac.

Maybe one of these Mac compatible.

Comment

• ripadeedoodah
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by garym
        Yes. Several including iTunes itself.
        As far as I know, and I'd be really happy to be corrected, there's no way of using itunes to edit out the "explicit" tag that's been added, or I'd have done it long ago. Am I wrong?

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

As far as I know, and I'd be really happy to be corrected, there's no way of using itunes to edit out the "explicit" tag that's been added, or I'd have done it long ago. Am I wrong?
          sorry, just looked and it appears that itunes doesn't allow editing of that tag. So I'd try either the OSx version of mp3tag or one of the other Mac tag editors. There are lots of them....but I'm not a Mac user so can't speak in any detail about them. Just google a bit (something like "mp3tag for Mac" should pull up lots of stuff)

Comment

• ripadeedoodah
            • Sep 2012

sorry, just looked and it appears that itunes doesn't allow editing of that tag. So I'd try either the OSx version of mp3tag or one of the other Mac tag editors. There are lots of them....but I'm not a Mac user so can't speak in any detail about them. Just google a bit (something like "mp3tag for Mac" should pull up lots of stuff)
            OK, thanks garym - I don't really fancy the OS X version of mp3tag because it sounds a bit improvised but I'll look at what else is available.

Comment

• Balok
              • Mar 2007

Note: iTunes (10.2) may cache this information. I followed Spoon's instructions using the 'Convert To' context menu option and the tags were still there. I had to remove the songs from iTunes, and then add them back before the tag disappeared. Using dbPoweramp 14.4Beta, and ID Tag Update codec release 3.

Removing songs from iTunes may result in the loss of certain information, such as options, play counts, last played date and possibly the regular rating, that it seems to store only in its database.

For future reference, I used dbpa's Options section to explicitly tell it to write a Content Rating tag with a value of zero. Hopefully that will prevent a recurrence of this problem.
              Last edited by Balok; 12-16-2012, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• ripadeedoodah
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Balok
                Note: iTunes (10.2) may cache this information. I followed Spoon's instructions using the 'Convert To' context menu option and the tags were still there. I had to remove the songs from iTunes, and then add them back before the tag disappeared. Using dbPoweramp 14.4Beta, and ID Tag Update codec release 3.

Removing songs from iTunes may result in the loss of certain information, such as options, play counts, last played date and possibly the regular rating, that it seems to store only in its database.

For future reference, I used dbpa's Options section to explicitly tell it to write a Content Rating tag with a value of zero. Hopefully that will prevent a recurrence of this problem.
                That's bad news. I haven't even got that far yet - I'm still trying to find a way of moving my IiTunes library back into Windows in such a way that it can be edited. I have an iMac with Bootcamp so I have OSX on one partition and Windows 7 on another. I spent an hour yesterday trying to find a way of moving the music library from the OSX back into the Windows 7 partition in such a way that I could write to it but I can't - it always ends up read-only. So today I have emptied out my cupboards and found a Western Digital hard drive that I once used to back up Dell PC running Windows XP. I hooked that up to the Mac but I can't find a way of moving or copying the music library to it. Even if I do find a way, I have a bad feeling that any copy will be read-only once I try to open it in Windows. If you're still listening, garym, you can see why I laughed when you talked about a 15-minute job. I've spent far in excess of three hours on this already and I haven't even found a way of starting yet. And from what Balok says, there's a poor likelihood of a successful outcome even if I do. I do realise some of this is self-inflicted in that the problem would be easier to tackle in Windows but I think it might be easier just to rip my entire library all over again, maybe using a Mac-friendly ripper next time.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

In windows I can simply select all my files and remove the "read only" property. Can't you do this in your bootcamp windows partition? This does seem to be excessive struggling for a fairly trivial task. I don't know how much your time is worth versus willingness to spend money, but at some point you might simply want to seek out a computer savvy person that can be paid to assist. An IT person from your work, geek squad from best buy, etc.

p.s. Balok is not saying there will not be success, he is saying that removing then readding the files to your itunes will cause you to lose database things like playcounts, ratings, etc. But you may not use that data anyhow and your files themselves and their tags can easily be fixed (maybe not by you it seems, but again this is not a high tech problem....you just need to copy some files, open them, make a few mouse clicks, and move on). But again, I think you may need to seek some hands on help at this point. Good luck.

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

but I think it might be easier just to rip my entire library all over again, maybe using a Mac-friendly ripper next time.
                    This would be like rebuilding your house because you can't figure out how to open a stuck window! ;-)

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

have you googled a bit on how to change files on your Mac so that they are not read only. Stuff like this:

Learn how to do just about everything at ehow. Find expert advice along with How To videos and articles, including instructions on how to make, cook, grow, or do almost anything.

Basically, just google "change read only files in Mac"

Comment

• Balok
                        • Mar 2007

p.s. Balok is not saying there will not be success, he is saying that removing then readding the files to your itunes will cause you to lose database things like playcounts, ratings, etc. But you may not use that data anyhow and your files themselves and their tags can easily be fixed (maybe not by you it seems, but again this is not a high tech problem....you just need to copy some files, open them, make a few mouse clicks, and move on). But again, I think you may need to seek some hands on help at this point. Good luck.
                        This is correct. I added that sentence as a warning to people who don't know that iTunes stores certain things in its database, not in the metadata of the file. It isn't the design choice I would have made, but it is the design choice they made (I prefer self-describing data files whenever possible).

Those attributes didn't matter to me because I'd just ripped the disc in question and added it to iTunes. Most of them accrue over usage; you won't generally lose much data if you're talking about files recently ripped. The first time I saw the 'Explicit' tags was after recently upgrading to 14.3. I don't know how long dbpa has been creating them incorrectly. But if this is a recent bug, only recently ripped files should be affected, and you won't lose much historical data. The 'options' I'm talking about are the properties controlled from the 'Options' tab of the property sheet/book that appears when you select Get Info from a song's context menu.

Comment

• ripadeedoodah
                          • Sep 2012

OK, Balok and garym, thank you very much for that and I understand what you're saying.

After spending another couple of hours on this today I think I may actually have made some progress.

In Windows, I had previously tried to unmark the read-only mark on the music library folder without success. But the clue was in one of the links you posted, garym - I went back to OSX and found the music library was marked read-only there (except for me, the administrator) so I changed that to read-and-write for all. Then I moved the library folder over to OSX again and used MP3tag and this time, for the first time, it reported having successfully re-tagged all the files. I then moved the library back to OSX again and deleted the old music library folder and used "add library" to add the new, edited, library. I then played a couple of tracks - but no dice, they are all still labelled "explicit" so I could use a little more help.

I went back into Windows again and checked once more with MP3tag to see what it reported. Previously, when I extended the tags, there was a field between GENRE and LABEL named ITUNESADVISORY. All files ripped with dBpoweramp were marked with a 10, which presumably means "the dirtiest song ever recorded, do not listen under any circumstances." I replaced this with a 0 ("suitable for new-born babies"). On checking the tags again with MP3tag, I now find that the ITUNESADVISORY field has completely disappeared. I don't know if this is relevant.

I think the solution lies in deleting the iTunes info folder or something like that but I'm a bit wary of deleting these folders without knowing what I"m doing. If you think I should delete another folder, please could you be clear about which one so I don't make any stupid mistakes?

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

I don't think you should have to delete any folders in itunes. But you may have to remove the songs from your itunes library (then add them back). The way I do this is select all files (so all are showing in the active itunes window), select all, then right click and select delete. It will ask if you want to remove from library or really delete (forget, maybe it says send to recycle or something). But you just want to remove from library. Then when done, in itunes select FILE > ADD FOLDER tO LIBRARY, then navigate to the upper level directory containing all your music files. Then hit OK. this should then add all these files back to your itunes library. And without the itunesadvisory, they shouldn't show explicit.

you can try to just remove a couple that show as explicit and then add back only those files (FILE > ADD FILES) just as a test to see if this is working.

Comment

• Balok
                              • Mar 2007

I went back into Windows again and checked once more with MP3tag to see what it reported. Previously, when I extended the tags, there was a field between GENRE and LABEL named ITUNESADVISORY. All files ripped with dBpoweramp were marked with a 10, which presumably means "the dirtiest song ever recorded, do not listen under any circumstances." I replaced this with a 0 ("suitable for new-born babies"). On checking the tags again with MP3tag, I now find that the ITUNESADVISORY field has completely disappeared. I don't know if this is relevant.
                              I have never used MP3Tag. Years ago, possibly before MP3Tag existed, I bought a tool called Tag&Rename for this purpose. It does not allow you to edit metadata it does not understand. There are two basic design choices: provide a means to edit tags a tool does not understand, or ignore such tags. There are valid arguments for either choice; Tag&Rename chose to ignore these tags. So there was no way to use it to get rid of the ratings. But ID Tag Update does allow you to make such edits.

I used ID Tag Update as described above, to delete the tag named 'Content Rating'. I have not used this codec except to delete this specific tag, so I don't know how its modify and add features work. I got the name of that tag from Spoon's earlier post. I did not do anything with a tag named ITUNESADVISORY.

Inside iTunes I deleted the songs. Because iTunes does not manage my folders (I found the design choices its developers made irritating), deleting the tracks has no effect on the underlying files. Then I dragged the folder containing them back into iTunes, which as you may know causes iTunes to scan the folder and add any compatible tracks to its library. If iTunes is managing the media folders then it will likely ask if you want to delete the associated files. I did not have to delete any part of the iTunes library, so I can't offer you good advice on how to do that successfully.

I am a little puzzled as to why dbPoweramp would even create any sort of content rating. First off, where would it get the correct values? Second, I'll handle the censorship, thanks! Maybe that's the bug that's why Spoon says you need 14.4Beta?

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

As Balok points out, you may want to use the ID TAG UPDATE within dbpa to delete the tag CONTENT RATING. But install the 14.4 beta of dbpa first.

Comment

Working...

]]>