title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Help please? ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luthiens_Ghost
    • Jul 2003

Help please? ???

recently i've had real troubles mostly with *.mp3 files on my winXP computer. i can't change their file names, change their id3 tags or even cut and paste them. i am told that they are being used by a program. now i've tried deleting them in dos and even tried through safe mode with no other programs running but i'm still told this.
    i've made all the non-essential programs stop, so i don't think its a service that would keeps a library or shares or some such
    i might have a clue though, i had a program installed that ripps cds to mp3, and it came with a shareware thing that made it able to edit id3 tags. i uninstalled that a while ago because it had run out of time probably around the same time this started happening. but i've reinstalled the prog to no avail.
    the program is dBpowerAMP and the shareware with it was the dBpowerAMP powerpack

does anyone know how to find out what this program is that is using them or how i can fix the problem?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

If you delete the folder 'C:\Program Files\Illustrate' there will be nothing left of dBpowerAMP, but I don't think it is that.

Press CTL + ALT + DELETE and 'Task Manager' select 'Processes' tab and start end tasking stuff. Maybe you have a virus, or a bad virus checker.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Luthiens_Ghost
      • Jul 2003

i've tried to task end things, but it didn't work. someone told me to try delete things from the reg. how and where do i look for the dmc stuff in the reg?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

If you uninstalled dMC then it will be removed from the registry (everything that counts), plus if non of its program files are around it is not possible to lock any files, just by settings in the registry. I think it is another program.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Luthiens_Ghost
          • Jul 2003

i dunno man, this problem occured straight after i uninstalled it =\

Comment

• Clete
            • Aug 2002

Have you checked what file opens your MP3's. If you right click an MP3 and select play - what program plays the MP3? You might check file associations: Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - File Types - Check MP3 to see what program is supposed to open them. Some applications will associate themselves with specific file extensions. MP3's can be opened by Windows Media Player, Real Player, MusicMatch Jukebox and many others. You may have to change the associations or see what program is tied to them. It might be running in background and you won't know it. dbPoweramp would not cause this problem. I've used it for 3 years and 3 different OS's and never had a problem.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Visit here and run FileMon:

It will tell you exactly what is opening which files.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Luthiens_Ghost
                • Jul 2003

hmm i'll check out that prog, thanks um.. i use winamp, but its not interfering, since i've used it longer without updating than dmc

Comment

• edgarde
                  • Jun 2002

WinXP files in use by another Program, Part 1

I have this same problem (with, among other formats, Ogg Vorbis files) in WinXP also. It persists after reboot, scandisk & defrag, and CHKDSK. Most vexing. I probably have gigs of files I would like to delete, but cannot.

Indexing Service is turned off (never turned it on). Also turned off Symantec AntiVirus.

I don't understand the Filemon output, but here's where it goes wrong during a test cut & paste:

EXPLORER.EXE:1868 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\incoming\1971-11-06 - for reasons i dont understand\d1\01 - careful with that axe, eugene.ape SHARING VIOLATION Options: Open Access: All

Processes logged by Filemon besides EXPORER.EXE during this cut&paste:
                  SCRSS.EXE:420 (Novell NetWare)
                  System:4

That's it. 1200 lines are logged in 5 seconds, but this is the only VIOLATION. The operations on that .ape file are:

IRP_MJ_CREATE (success)
                  IRP_QUERY_VOLUME_INFORMATION (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CLEANUP (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CLOSE (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CREATE (sharing violation)

-----

Attempting to delete just this file:

all EXPLORER.EXE:1868

IRP_MJ_CREATE (success)
                  IRP_MJ_READ (success)
                  FASTIO_READ (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CREATE (success)
                  IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION (invalid parameter) FileStreamInformation
                  IRP_MJ_CLEANUP (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CLOSE (success)

others leading to a repeated

... later ...

IRP_MJ_CREATE (success)
                  FASTIO_QUERY_BASIC_INFO (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CLEANUP (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CLOSE (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CREATE (sharing violation) Options: Open Access: All
                  IRP_MJ_CREATE (sharing violation) Options: Open Access: All
                  IRP_MJ_CREATE (success) Options: Open Access: All
                  FASTIO_QUERY_BASIC_INFO (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CLEANUP (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CLOSE (success)

... and later ...

IRP_MJ_CREATE (success)
                  IRP_MJ_READ (success)
                  FASTIO_READ (success)
                  IRP_MJ_READ (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CREATE (success)
                  IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION (invalid parameter) FileStreamInformation
                  IRP_MJ_CLEANUP (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CLOSE (success)
                  IRP_MJ_CREATE (success)
                  FASTIO_QUERY_STANDARD_INFO (success)

... and thousands of more lines I can email to whomever can tell me what it means.

Es.
                  Last edited by edgarde; August 18, 2003, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• edgarde
                    • Jun 2002

WinXP files in use by another Program, Part 2

Removed Winamp, WinZip & dBpowerAmp, then reinstalled. Problem seems to be gone for now -- old files that couldn't be deleted or renamed are cooperative now. I've not tried ripping new files yet.

Comment

Working...

]]>