title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting 16/44 wave to 24/96 FLAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex6404
    • Jul 2012

Converting 16/44 wave to 24/96 FLAC

I am trying o convert CD wave files to 24/96 FLAC. It seems the converter does not provide sample rate and size options for FLAC. How can I do this conversion, then? Do I need to use DSP effects to do this? If so, does the order of the effect matter)?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Converting 16/44 wave to 24/96 FLAC

If you ask me, the CD wave files are best kept at 16 bit 44KHz, you actually lose quality doing a frequency conversion...

The DSP effects are used to change bit depth, or to resample.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• d2b
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2010

Re: Converting 16/44 wave to 24/96 FLAC

There is no conceivable advantage to resampling 16/44.1 audio to 24/96. As Spoon implies, the best result is likely a loss of quality. You cannot upsample to obtain information in the music file that wasn't there to begin with. The interpolation required to obtain extra samples is a digital signal processing algorithm that essentially makes a "best guess" from the 16-bit samples in the immediate region of each of the new samples. Furthermore there isn't more than 16-bits worth of information in any of the original samples, so your 24-bit results have at most only 16 bits of meaningful information in them. Note that the key word here is "meaningful."

d2b

Comment

Working...

]]>