title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cannot encode MP3 to MP3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ginaland
    • Jun 2012

Cannot encode MP3 to MP3

I'm sure somebody else has had this problem, so apologies if I'm doubling up or asking this question in the wrong section. I have tried to search it, but as a subject matter the search string is variable I suppose.

When I try to encode an MP3 (going down in quality, from audio book at a higher rate in order to save space), I have just suddenly encountered this problem – the overwrite window appears, but each MP3 is there twice, only one checkbox selected. When I press convert it does nothing.

Due to a progressive neuromuscular condition I have to use dictation software for all my typing purposes, and have recently had issues with Adobe Flash and Reader, which rendered my dictating software useless, so I have had to uninstall the latest versions of the above and go back to the previous versions for each. I do not know if this is affecting dbpoweramp, but it has only just happened and I purchased the software a few weeks ago and it has been running fine.

Everything seems fine if I convert flac (that's my audio preference) or wav down to MP3, it is simply an issue of converting MP3 to a different bitrate of MP3 – always down in quality, as I am not stupid ;-) And usually using different codecs. I have just tried to convert an MP3 into wav and them back into MP3, and that works fine – but I'm sure messing around with all my files, apart from taking ages, will have some effect on the quality and it seems daft to have to do it this way when the program was working brilliantly. I am, however, using the Fraunhofer codec at 48kbps for audio as the portable unit I am using to playback these files has minimal storage space. For converting music through to a quick playlist for said MP3 player I use lame and convert to 320kbps. My CD collection is stored in flac and older discs in wav. My audiobook collection is stored at a much higher bitrate than that which I'm converting it down to, so eventually I want to convert them all in order to save space.

Please help, I love this program as it is simplicity itself and it makes the most of my quad core chip. Thank you for reading :-)

Gina
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Cannot encode MP3 to MP3

If you were encoding mp3 to mp3 and did not change the output to location, then the same filename would be shown on the left and the right. You are best encoding to a different folder (so the original higher bitrate files are not overwritten).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>