title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

¿Impossible ripping audio CD?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trent
    • May 2012

¿Impossible ripping audio CD?

First of all, hello, I'm new in this forum, sorry for my English, I'm Spanish and I'm using Google Translate to help.

Then go on to state the problem, to see if anyone knows what may be.
    I have a strange problem when trying to rip a disc, is the first time I passed.

This is the album I rip: link to image.

Ok, so far all right, now the problem starts.
    // The album contains 14 audio tracks supposedly (see Wiki tracklist of the album), but when I open it is empty.

// Normal software programs don't detect any content within the disc, but yes exist content. Exist one archive named "Track01.cda", 125 MB.

// The only software that I detected the content is EAC (Exact Audio Copy); dBpoweramp, WinDAC, CDex, etc, not.

// EAC detect this archive as an unknown file format, and will not let me out, all ripping options are in gray color and disabled (link to image)

// I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, doesn't detect when I put the disc in the drive, tells me that there isn't a CD in the drive, and not play the content automatically.

// I tried to extract the file by creating an ISO image, but in doing so, generate a corrupted ISO, and I couldn't unzip it to any program. I also couldn't mount a virtual drive.

These are basic details. The CD is new factory sealed and never been worn.

The CD came with another soundtrack, were two discs, the first it worked, but the second, the image, no, I don't know why. Can be due to a bad recording or mastering?, because is literally IMPOSSIBLE ripping with any program, I tried everything and no way, I give up.

Thanks in advance.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: ¿Impossible ripping audio CD?

The CD might be a Data CD, or a protected Audio CD (from the past) which your CD drive is not able to work around.

Try selecting CD Ripper >> Options >> 'Defective by Design'

(switch back to Secure ripping after trying this mode)
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Trent
      • May 2012

Thanks for answering.

I tried what you've said and don't, neither. dBpoweramp shows the typical message <Insert Audio CD>. Neither works in "Secure" or "Burst" mode.

My disc drive is a model "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7700H", from my laptop "SONY Vaio VPCEB1M1E", purchased in November 2010.

It seems strange that relates to protection, we are talking about an album of the year 2000 compared to a disc drive drivers compatibility late 2010, the CD is sealed at the factory because I bought on eBay, but was created in year 2000, shortly after the film in the cinema, actually is a discontinued/out of stock disc.

Comment

• eaglescout1998
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Trent
        The CD came with another soundtrack, were two discs, the first it worked, but the second, the image, no, I don't know why. Can be due to a bad recording or mastering?, because is literally IMPOSSIBLE ripping with any program, I tried everything and no way, I give up.Thanks in advance.
        I am going to go out on a limb here, but is it possible that this second disc (the one you're having trouble with) is a DVD?

The screen capture from EAC that you gave indicates that the track isn't an audio track, which means there's nothing to rip.

I just did a check on Amazon.com to see if there were any bonus discs included. I can't find one that matches the tracklist you provided. Could you have purchased a bootleg?

Comment

• Porcus
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2007

Open a command window. (Winlogo-key + R and type cmd + enter.) Give the command dir d: (or a different letter if your drive has a different letter). Do you get .cda's?

Edit: intended at original poster, of course.

Comment

• Trent
            • May 2012

Originally posted by eaglescout1998
            I am going to go out on a limb here, but is it possible that this second disc (the one you're having trouble with) is a DVD?

The screen capture from EAC that you gave indicates that the track isn't an audio track, which means there's nothing to rip.

I just did a check on Amazon.com to see if there were any bonus discs included. I can't find one that matches the tracklist you provided. Could you have purchased a bootleg?
            At first, no, isn't a DVD, now I checked and it's a audio CD because the material on the disc is more abrupt than DVD. I tested it by putting it in my Blu-ray Disc player model LG BD350 and in my PlayStation®2 Slim, the sound it makes when it rolls on the surface indicates that this is a CD, not DVD.

At second, nether is a bootleg, is a original audio disc imported from KOCH Records, the serial number of the disc is KOC-CD-8911 (or KOCCD8911, look the first picture above), and barcode is 0099923891123, I put the code on the Amazon searcher, and this is the results.

The disc is a double-pack distributed only in Australia, contains 2 CDs from two diferent soundtracks (Image 1 | Image 2 | Image 3 | Image 4) but I only can rip the first disc, titled Pokémon 3 The Ultimate Soundtrack, but the second, Pokémon 2000 Original Motion Picture Score don't...

Originally posted by Porcus
            Open a command window. (Winlogo-key + R and type cmd + enter.) Give the command dir d: (or a different letter if your drive has a different letter). Do you get .cda's?

Edit: intended at original poster, of course.
            Nothing, don't work. The CD is into the drive, and detects the disk, but not the content.
            There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D:.

The screen capture of the error message.
            The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Until now I had never encountered a similar problem, it is very strange, since I can't extract the information contained into the disc it with absolutely no software. Although we don't fix it, thanks anyway the answers you are giving me, in the future can serve for other cases with which to meet
            Last edited by Trent; May 15, 2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• eaglescout1998
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Apr 2009

One thing I would also suggest is to try ripping the CD with a second drive. It might be your drive simply doesn't like your disc, for whatever reason. You might have better luck with a different drive. If you don't have one, perhaps you can borrow an external USB drive from a friend?

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Can you play the disc in a normal CD Player?

Comment

• Trent
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by eaglescout1998
                  One thing I would also suggest is to try ripping the CD with a second drive. It might be your drive simply doesn't like your disc, for whatever reason. You might have better luck with a different drive. If you don't have one, perhaps you can borrow an external USB drive from a friend?
                  Checked today in; Lenovo ThinkPad X220; Acer Aspire 5250; and two different PC desktops, all with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, the latest versions of dBpoweramp, EAC, drivers and updates, but don't work.

Originally posted by mville
                  Can you play the disc in a normal CD Player?
                  Good idea, but I don't have any. Today I called friends and family to see if they had any, and all I have said no, so until I go to buy one let him check pending, thanks.

*Pending to test: CD Walkman (Discman).

Comment

• Porcus
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Feb 2007

The CD is into the drive, and detects the disk, but not the content.
                    There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D:.
                    OK, a Windows problem. If Windows does not see the disc, you cannot expect a Windows application to see it either.

Is the CD old enough to possibly be one of those pesky copy protected discs which install malware on your computer? Have you disabled autoplay/autorun?

Comment

• Trent
                      • May 2012

OK, a Windows problem. If Windows does not see the disc, you cannot expect a Windows application to see it either.

Is the CD old enough to possibly be one of those pesky copy protected discs which install malware on your computer? Have you disabled autoplay/autorun?
                      I think not, because the disc is a soundtrack that is already circulating on the internet for quite some time in MP3, so can rip perfectly, the problem is I wanted the songs in FLAC format, and the only way to have them was buy the original CD.

I really think it is a final recording problem or error, leaving the disk inaccessible. Although now you mention it in Windows, I'll try it this afternoon in Ubuntu and Mac to see if it works.

*Pending to test: Ubuntu and Mac.

Comment

• Trent
                        • May 2012

Update:

Checked in Mac with X Lossless Decoder and Ubuntu, all in PC desktop.

X Lossless Decoder don't detect content in the disc, and the default music players of two operative systems (iTunes in Mac, Rhythmbox in Ubuntu) don't play the content, the CD is empty.

I run out of ideas xD

Comment

• Porcus
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Feb 2007

OK, so there is probably nothing you can do with dBpoweramp nor anything else, on that particular computer and that particular drive. (The fact that it exists on the 'net does not imply that it isn't copy protected though. Copy protection works only every now and then.)

I would try another computer and drive, and then write back to the vendor and claim the CD is defective. It certainly looks like it is.

(You are sure it plays in a CD player? That you don't need a DVD player? If you need a DVD, the issue might be the difference between DVD and DVD+ or something?)
                          Last edited by Porcus; May 25, 2012, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• Trent
                            • May 2012

OK, so there is probably nothing you can do with dBpoweramp nor anything else, on that particular computer and that particular drive. (The fact that it exists on the 'net does not imply that it isn't copy protected though. Copy protection works only every now and then.)

I would try another computer and drive, and then write back to the vendor and claim the CD is defective. It certainly looks like it is.

(You are sure it plays in a CD player? That you don't need a DVD player? If you need a DVD, the issue might be the difference between DVD and DVD+ or something?)
                            The problem is the seller will not accept returns or exchanges (is a particular, not company), and when an ad says this, there is nothing to do. The seller could not manipulate the disc because it came factory sealed, he has no guilt.

To the second, I have three players, in my room one Blu-ray Disc player (see first message) and the PlayStation 2 Slim, in the living room a new DVD player of a few years ago (2007 or 2008) and doesn't work in any (both accept all or most formats because I've used many times to see movies and series downloaded from internet, in different audio and video formats/codecs, and in all has worked).

My Blu-ray Disc player model BD350 accept:
                            BLU-RAY - Yes
                            BD-ROM - Yes
                            BD-R - Yes
                            BD-RE - Yes
                            DVD (PAL / NTSC) - Yes
                            DVD+RW / +R - Yes
                            DVD-R / DVD-RW - Yes
                            CD-R/-RW - Yes

DTS CD - Yes
                            DivX - Yes
                            MPEG4 AVC (H.264) - Yes
                            MP3 - Yes
                            WMA - Yes

The only thing I have not still consulted is a Walkman or Discman player, I'm looking for ways to get one without having to buy it.

Comment

• mville
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2008

The problem is the seller will not accept returns or exchanges (is a particular, not company), and when an ad says this, there is nothing to do. The seller could not manipulate the disc because it came factory sealed, he has no guilt.
                              I have 2 questions.

1. Was the seller advertising/selling the product as an audio CD?

2. Does the disc play in a standard CD player?

Comment

Working...

]]>