title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting file to higher resolution

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjock3
    • Apr 2012

Converting file to higher resolution

I just converted a 16/44 to a 24/96 and it seems to have a fuller bass, and the female vocalists voice is less shrill and seems to be more detailed. Can anyone explain why this would be? :confused:
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: Converting file to higher resolution

Originally posted by mjock3
    I just converted a 16/44 to a 24/96 and it seems to have a fuller bass, and the female vocalists voice is less shrill and seems to be more detailed. Can anyone explain why this would be? :confused:
    You need to perform a blind test, preferably an ABX test, in order to work around psychological factors that may predetermine the test outcome above.

See:

and

Comment

• mjock3
      • Apr 2012

Went and did blind test and it was identifiable everytime. Both by me as well as by my wife. Interesting.

Comment

• mjock3
        • Apr 2012

Update on this post. I had an audiophile friend over and he too heard the difference immediately. How ever when he went home and tried to do what I did with a file (not sure if it was the same file or not) he heard no difference at home. Hum, I am going to have to try this on a couple more files.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

if you and your wife are hearing a clear difference, something *must* be different other than the file (or you have the ability to do something that hundreds of serious users in controlled tests have not been able to do!). There are often slight, almost unnoticeable volume differences that can make the louder track sound "better". Are these FLAC files? Do they have ReplayGain information added? If so, is the player using the RG info in both playback situations. And you should install foobar2000 and the ABX component to do a true double-blind ABX test of the two files (this will also control your volume correctly, if this is the issue).

Comment

• Porcus
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2007

Assuming that there are actual differences (i.e. that you didn't skrewup the 'blind' in the 'blind test'), then a couple of educated guesses:

- volume, as suggested. The software might play them back at different volumes. Have you tried foobar2000's ABX test component? It aligns volume. If you can hear differences with other software but not with that, it could be volume. (But: if you still hear differences, it could still be volume -- the OS might process 44.1 different from 96).

- (is there replaygain?)

- your soundcard converts to 48 kHz, and the way it converts 44.1 to 48 is bad. Test: convert 16/44.1 to 16/48 and listen for differences. If 16/48 sounds like 24/96, then this is a possible explanation.

Actually I would suggest that you also try converting 16/96 and 24/44.1 in order to find out whether it is upsampling or word rate that makes the difference.

Comment

• DIDI
              • Sep 2010

I upsample from FLAC 24/96 to WAV 32/192 and got a lot of improvement in sound quality, also with FLAC 16/44. But I am not able to convert FLAC 24/88 to WAV 32/192, and on also no possibility to convert from 88 to 176. only to 192. Is there any technical problem that make conversion to 176 impossible? Files was downloaded from HDTracks.

Comment

Working...

]]>