title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Frequency conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jay45645646
    • Apr 2012

Frequency conversion

Will I lose any quality or have any unwanted side effects converting 24-88 .flac files to 24-96 .wav using dBpoweramp?

reclock + mpchc won't play my 88 files via onboard sound + spdif

error msg: "the audio format is not supported by your hardware / driver"
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Frequency conversion

All frequency conversions loose quality, even upsamples... the loss though is probably undetectable with high quality resamplers (dBpoweramp uses one called SSRC)
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jay45645646
      • Apr 2012

I had a feeling there may be a loss of quality. But whether or not that loss is perceivable to the human ear is another issue altogether. I currently can't preceive a loss. I found this info on the SSRC, http://shibatch.sourceforge.net/ssrc/ ,but I don't understand it. A layman's translated summary of the results would be nice. Do the results support the theory that the loss would be unperceivable to the human ear?

Comment

• jay45645646
        • Apr 2012

I was thinking about the loss of quality to audio from a frequency conversion and thought of DACs which upscale to 192Hz but make the perceivable audio sound better. So my initial question should have been "Will I lose any perceivable quality or have any unwanted side effects converting 24-88 .flac files to 24-96 .wav using dBpoweramp?" Of course this is subjective and also relies on the quality of my speakers, cables, components and quality of power.

With my current components I can't notice a difference, but I will upgrade to high quality components in the future.
        Last edited by jay45645646; April 16, 2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• jay45645646
          • Apr 2012

another question With the best set-up money could buy in the entire world, would there be a perceivable difference to the average Homo sapiens ear?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

I do not think you will have any perceivable quality loss.

Oversampling DACs work on a different principle.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>