title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Lost Flac files please help me

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Lost Flac files please help me

Originally posted by sexon
    thanks again gary

here is what i got when i right clicked and got this "43.2 MB (45,320,684 bytes)". any use?

the nas is a Netgear RND2000 ReadyNAS Duo

sorry for insufficient information. the nas stores all my music. thats the plan anyway. i ripped all my CDs to a temporary HDD which became full so i opted for the nas due to the networking options. my naim is just a preamp sorry, an 82, connected to power amps. so the dac is connected using coax from rega to 5pin din naim end. that side i am ok with.

since all my music is now stored on the nas, the only way to access and play it is by accessing the nas on the network, hence the nas is connected to the router. is there a better more direct way of doing this since the nas has about three usbs, so does my sony viao laptop. i was advised that since the nas does not have an operating system it could not be directly connected to the rega dac. hence i am using the laptop which has an operating system for this purpose. at least that is the only i have been able to play music since sat, even though thats minus flacs and the network is unreliable.

if there is a player that will make me play the files on the nas, reliably and truthfully, and ideally for free, thats what i am after. if hardwiring is the only option, i am not certain my connections are the best. happy to take pictures if it helps.

it may be that due to my limited knoweldge i am making mistakes gary, please bang me to rights!

i really appreciate your patience in trying to understand the problems i face and advising.
    aha. this is definitely a FLAC file. doesn't it have a .flac file extension???

OK. I now see your setup. The readynas system is a good file storage system but is not that great at running any server software. If you want to feed music via WIFI to your stereo, you either need a computer connected to your DAC (via USB or s/pdif or optical) or you need a network music player. I'm a fan of Logitech Squeezebox devices. You'd want the TOUCH. It would connect via wifi back to your router. And on your computer you'd install the Logitech Music Server (LMS) software. The LMS software would look to your NAS to see the music files. It is possible to install the LMS on the readynas duo, but it is awfully underpowered. And the other issue is that if you run LMS on your computer, it is probably better that it be connected via eithernet too. You really don't want more than one WIFI hop (the one from router to TOUCH). Nice thing with all this is that I use my ipad or iphone or laptop to control all my music (choose music, volume, etc.). All this will also do internet radio, pandora, mog, spotify, rhapsody, etc.

Bottom line, read about Logitech Squeezebox products, read about SONOS, etc. to get an idea about networked music players. Or simply install something like foobar2000 as a player on your laptop. Point the foobar2000 music library to your Readynas as the source (via wifi), then connect your laptop to the DAC via usb/spdif/optical.

Comment

• sexon
      • Oct 2011

thanks gents,

it looks like i can not get away from getting the squeezebox itouch. i will wait for a bit for things to settle, tweak a few on the way. i reckon a good quality usb cable may help. i will have a look at foobar, have heard good things from other forumites before.

i was expecting miracles from my rega dac and the nas i think :-)

thanks again for showing me the light, no doubt i will be back moaning about something else and neglecting work ha ha.

best wishes,

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

I have two homes entirely setup with lots of Squeezebox stuff for playing FLAC files, etc. and can highly recommend. But read more and educate yourself on options...and not sure why you need a better USB cable. First of all, a cheap USB cable is likely able to work as well as an expensive USB cable (this is not analog, but digital, don't fall for snake oil and "gold USB cables"). And second, the system I suggested to you wouldn't make use of a USB cable at all.

Router > NAS connected via ethernet
        Either NAS or computer running LMS connected to router via ethernet
        Router > wifi > SB Touch > optical (toslink) or S/PDIF (coax) > DAC > Stereo

Is your readynas duo one of the new ones with better processor? If so, LMS is likely to work nicely on that. Heck LMS worked on my old REadyNas duo, just that the browsing and scanning took forever with 65,000 tracks. The playing was just fine....

and no matter what you do, you need to have a robust local network to do all this. And we're way off topic now. So if you want more info on SB stuff, there is a good active forum here: (although ignore the religious wars going on there on some threads regarding "tweaks", double blind testing, etc.

Last edited by garym; January 24, 2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• sexon
          • Oct 2011

gary,

thats brilliant advice. you put it in simple words. i just now need to decide what to buy next with immediate great gains, the musical fidelity usb converter or the squeezebox itouch. and i take your point on expensive cables, i wont buy any now.

as a man, i am rubbish with reading instructions first hence i jumped in with two feet in, see where i am. and yes my network is not great right now, need a new router perhaps.

i will visit the forums and see what is there. i am still none the wiser about dbpa UPnP, what does it do, i could still not understand the infor.

with best wishes and thank you again all for your patience, i valued it very much.

afterall, our aim in all this is to enjoy music right :-) but what we put ourselvees through though....
          Last edited by sexon; January 25, 2012, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• notmetoo
            • Oct 2009

Happy that you have the CD's. Excuse My Confusion (EMC), How can you miss 100's of GB's of data? 500 CD's x 300MB (AVG)= 150000MB / 1024 = 146GB

I would be very careful with a NAS, particulary if the CD's took some (a lot) of time to rip. Generally the retail NAS Drive will operate on a linux system firmware, so if the NAS drive ever fails and you try to recover on a Windows or Macintosh you will suffer great hardship. Keep it simple, play it safe.

Recovery leaves me with only one name in my mind, CGSecurity. TestDisk is what you will be wanting. OS universal, Free, Fast..... I am lost for words except, 'TestDisk is the best'.

1 very important factor in the recovery of HDD files is to never use the disk again, recover your > files > bin.

EDIT:
            After reading again a question popped in my mind, 'If I configured FLAC in dbP but pointed to the Lame.exe what would the result be, or Visa Versa? MP3 with FLAC.exe?
            I Will give it a go! back soon.
            Last edited by notmetoo; January 25, 2012, 12:24 PM. Reason: Thinking

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

and yes, dbpa's ASSET may be one option for you as well. but you've got the idea. explore your options and enjoy the music!

Comment

• sexon
                • Oct 2011

thanks gary and notmetoo,

i ripped over 500 CDs plus many classical and jazz flacs downloaded online hence the totals. i am learning a great deal from your advice guys, so many thanks. the nas is good, very quiet and unintrusive. i just wish i could installl operating software on it :-) mine is the v2 (suspect version 2?).

cheers again gary, i will check what the Asset does, may be all i need.

thanks all again for taking the time to reply and advise.

best wishes,

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by sexon
                  thanks gary and notmetoo,

i ripped over 500 CDs plus many classical and jazz flacs downloaded online hence the totals. i am learning a great deal from your advice guys, so many thanks. the nas is good, very quiet and unintrusive. i just wish i could installl operating software on it :-) mine is the v2 (suspect version 2?).

cheers again gary, i will check what the Asset does, may be all i need.

thanks all again for taking the time to reply and advise.

best wishes,
                  if you really have the duo v2, this has the new ARM processor which is much better than the original readynas duo. The Logitech Squeezebox folks are about ready to release a version of Logitech Media Server to run on the Readynas itself. If I were you I'd wait for this (should be in the next week or so), and play a bit with that. It may be that you can have the following setup:

internet > router >ethernet to ReadyNas Duo (which holds your music and LMS)

router > wifi > SB Touch >connected to DAC > Stereo.

Comment

• sexon
                    • Oct 2011

thank you gary. i did a search online yesterday and found something called squeezeplay i think. i just did not seem to work, even though i downloaded the logitech media server as suggested. i just did a quick look and yes mine is definitely a v2, says so underneath. i am going on that website now and stay logged in. what will this new software do out of interest?

many thanks again dbpa guru!

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

squeezeplay is not what you want. This is a software version of a hardware Squeezebox player. And you would install this on your windows or Mac laptop or desktop (to act as either a player or as the controller for other SB hardware players you might have). You'll want Logitech Media Server for your ReadyNas Duo. But the V2 version is not released yet. You might follow this thread and post questions about Squeezebox there, as this has nothing to do with dbpa. And you'll find lots of info and people to help at that forum, including me.

Comment

• sexon
                        • Oct 2011

thanks gary, i will follow thread at other forum and catch up with you there. very gratefull for all dpa related responses thus far.

this pursuit of ours is life consuming. how many forums do i join, passwords etc, i hope soon enough all will be in order and all i do is listen to music...until something comes along ha ha.

best wishes,

Comment

Working...

]]>