title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Conversions suddenly taking forever

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FMNY
    • Oct 2010

Conversions suddenly taking forever

I convert a lot of files between wav, flac, and alac. I have a quad core i5 CPU and the conversions usually take just a few seconds. Just in the past few days the conversions are suddenly taking a really long time. I'm converting 20 tracks right now from flac to alac. I'm getting 8x encoding speed and it's going to take 15 minutes. In the past it would have taken about 2 minutes to do that. I fired up task manager and there are four coreconverter processes each using 0% or 1% CPU. My total CPU usage is ranges from 5%-11%. Any ideas what's going on?
  • FMNY
    • Oct 2010

Re: Conversions suddenly taking forever

I noticed that if I convert three files at once so only 3 CPUs are utitlized then I get super fast speeds again. It's when all four CPUs are being used that it slows to a crawl. Sometimes the conversions start out very fast but within a few seconds they slow down to a crawl.

Comment

• dbfan
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jan 2011

More CPU does not always mean faster conversions, as the hdd is slower than the CPU when converting lossless to lossless.

Comment

• FMNY
        • Oct 2010

ok, but that doesn't explain why in the past I could convert a batch of files (well over four so all four CPUs would be constantly working) at 10 or 20 time the encode rate I'm now getting. Any by the past I mean the recent past like a few days ago. This change is abrupt and unexplained and it sure makes converting between file formats a drag.

Comment

• FMNY
          • Oct 2010

if for some reason the converter is having trouble using all 4 CPUs, then is their a way to force it to only use three CPUs even when I select a dozen files to convert?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Force Multi CPU DSP Effect.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• FMNY
              • Oct 2010

Fewer CPUs is not solving the problem. This is becoming utterly frustrating. I have a very powerful quad core CPU but the converter program is using 1% of each core's to convert and taking 15-20 minutes to do conversions that should just take a couple of minutes.

The conversions start out fine and I get well over 150x encoding rate, then all of a sudden it's as if the software goes out of synch with my CPUs and the CPu usage level drops to 0-1% per core and the conversions crawl along like a snail at horrible encode speeds like 8x. Sometimes if I'm lucky the software gets back in synch and the encodes suddenly take off again at high encode rates, but that can take many minutes before it hapepsn if it even happens at all.

Why is this happening? It's driving me nuts having to sit and wait while the encodes barely move.

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Try, TEMPORARILY disabling startup applications and non-Microsoft services (through msconfig) and try converting again to see if anything is interfering with the process.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

It is likely the program is waiting for the HDD to catch up, anything special about it, such as raid?
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• FMNY
                    • Oct 2010

It's just a regular drive, but after reading your post I ran it through full diagnostics and it does appear to be failing. So the drive is the problem and I'll have to replace it.

Comment

Working...

]]>