title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

problem displaying id3 tag columns in Windows Explorer in W7 32bit

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twit
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2010

problem displaying id3 tag columns in Windows Explorer in W7 32bit

What I want:

-Be able to display, sort and select mp3 files using typical tags using Windows Explorer ( i had this capability in the past with Vista and DMC versions prior to 14.2)

The problem:

- All tag columns selected beyond name, type, size, data created and data modified are blank
    - upon clicking on a particular column header for a blank column, I get "unspecified" as the only selection
    - pane area at bottom of a Windows Explorer window displays essentially the same: all the tags I want show "specify the..." instead of the actual tag data

What I have:

- all mp3 files have just ID3v2.3 tags as tagged via Ripper and Mp3tag - I have scrubbed my tags throughly to ensure I have no other other tag formats and only have about 10 tags
    - 14.2 reference
    - Windows 7 32 bit premium

What I've tried, with no impact on any of the problems noted above:

- within DMC Configuration, enabling and disabling "thumbnail and property handler"
    - within Windows Explorer, changing the folder options for "optimized for" between music, documents, and general
    - within Windows Explorer, tried "allow folder to have contents indexed in addition to properties"
    - within Windows Explorer, tried the above with folders with songs within and not within my music library
    - searched this site for any other hints going back 5 years and the internet in general (hydrogenaudio, microsoft help sites, etc)

No joy on anything. What do I need to do? thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: problem displaying id3 tag columns in Windows Explorer in W7 32bit

Try uninstall dbpoweramp, reboot Windows, then reinstall.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• twit
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2010

I had to uninstall and manually eliminate all registry and program file residue before a reinstall would get things working, so thanks! I had previously uninstalled and reinstalled, but I had not hunted down and eliminated all traces left behind after an uninstall.

I now have most of what I wanted - the panel at the bottom of a Windows Explorer session contains tag data, and I can create and see tag data in columns - but for both of these, only for folders that are not within my Windows 7 music library. The problem behavior is unchanged within the library, even after rebuilding my search index in case that mattered. The result is good enough, but any ideas appreciated why I can't see any tag data with Windows Explorer for files within a music library.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

I am not sure, as far as I knew, these settings are system wide, but it sounds like Windows is using something else for the music library (which it does not do on mine, even though I only have one location).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• twit
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jul 2010

I discovered that deleting and then re-adding files to my music library after the thorough uninstall and reinstall restores the column and panel behavior. I tried that before with no effect before I un- and re-installed DMC the final time, but it resulted in the desired behavior now. What a pain, but thanks again.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Try running 'disk cleanup' and it will clear the caches on the system.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>