title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Windows 7 x64 Hangs on Batch Converter

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boliver

• Oct 2002

Windows 7 x64 Hangs on Batch Converter

Summary: On Windows 7 x64 the batch converter stops working after about an hour, using 100% of the CPU but not converting and new files.

I just purchased a very fast multicore Windows 7 x64 Intel based machine. I've used the batch processor for years (purchased v12 and v13).

When I run either Version 13 or the newest trial on your site, the batch runs for about an hour and then slowly each coreconverter stops reading new files but continues to use CPU (and writes temp files). Finally the computer is running at 100% but no new files are being read or converted! It's as if each coreconverter process is working on the same files over and over and writing temp files but not writing finished files. And no new files from the target batched directory are being read.

When I try to cancel the batch, it asks if I really want to do that. But when I say yes, it starts up again at 100% CPU! I have kill each process!

I'm decoding .ape files, checking them for HDCD status with DSP and then encoding them back to .ape.

I have run this 5 times with different tests (turning virtual memory off, running my memory at lower than specified bandwidth etc.). Nothing makes any difference. I see the same behavior with V13 and V14(latest).

Is anyone else having this problem? I upgraded my machine because DBPowerAmp is one of the apps that traditionally has been able to utilize extra resources. Now I can't run it for more than about an hour...
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Windows 7 x64 Hangs on Batch Converter

Possibly you security software which has blocked dbpoweramp?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• boliver

• Oct 2002

I use AVG for anti-virus. But it runs fine for an hour or so. How could AVG slowly make the coreconverters stop getting new files yet continue to use 100% CPU?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Security programs can suddenly decide a program is doing something it does not like, then puts dbpoweramp in a sandbox which stops it writing files.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dano272

• Nov 2011

I am getting the exact same problem and I'm not using any third party security programs. Pretty much as the OP described - I'm running a large batch encode and somewhere along the line the encoding processes hangs - and CPU usage goes to 100%. I don't think it's a security software issue.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

You might have a corrupt file which is causing issues, look at the converter page and see which file(s) are converting, then try to convert those files on their own.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dano272

• Nov 2011

Looking at the files that were being encoded when the encoding process stallled I did note that there was a symbol character (likely a copywrite symbol) in the comment field. I removed that and re-encoded that album. They encoded fine. I did not try it before changing the comment field so I can't say for sure that is what caused the problem, though. But I have another large group of lossless files (1000+) ready for encoding - so we'll see how that goes. I will update this thread.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

If you have specific files which are chocking the conversion, we are interested in receiving such files for testing.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dano272

• Nov 2011

I encoded a group of 1000 or so lossless files to MP3 without any issue. I have a few (12 or so) thousand more to go. Maybe it was the copywrite symbol in the id3 tag that stalled the conversion with the first set.

Comment

• dano272

• Nov 2011

Just to close the loop - I encoded a batch of 3000 lossless WMA files to mp3 with the lame encoder using the batch feature and it went off without a hitch. I am now pretty certain it was a tagging issue (a file had a copywrite symbol in the comment section of the id-tag). So - long story short - if you're having an issue with a conversion - check your tags.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

If you have such a file we can test against, because an @ should make no difference.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• boliver

• Oct 2002

How can I know what file it fails on? It happens about an hour into the batch and unless I looked at it every second I wouldn't know which file was the last one... I have 8 threads so I don't even know if I was looking at it directly I could see which file borked it. It seems to slowly bork each thread. i.e. first one thread goes to 100% without any new encodes, then the next and finally all 8 are borked. It takes about 10 minutes from the first thread borking until all 8 are borked. So I have 8 files that are bad???

How can I automatically check tags for inconsistencies? Or even files??? This is like a nightmare.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Install Process Explorer, then look at once of the coreconverters which are 100%, you can list the files and handles it is acessing, from there you should be able to get the actual audio file, then test converting that audio file on its own.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>