title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

converting .rm/.ram to wav/mp3, whats best?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

converting .rm/.ram to wav/mp3, whats best?

Hi, I've downloaded and tried dMC with the Real Player codec decoder and it works brilliantly. Well done, and thanks. I was able to convert from .ram to both wav and mp3 successfully, without drama. My question is: if my ultimate destination is CD Audio and hard disk space isn't a problem, what's the best conversion from .ram (or .rm) to do? The wav files were a lot larger than the mp3, does that mean they have got more in them and therefore create a better CD Audio or are they relatively inefficient compared to mp3?

I'm also using the dbpowerAMP CD writer and it works well. Great work, you can expect my registration soon. Meantime I look forward to the answer to the above question. Best Regards.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

I am not sure what you are talking about when you are asking if wav files are less efficient than mp3. You will find that wav files should be lossless in the sense that you should not lose any of the sound quality from your original source (in this case your .ram files). If this were your criterion for efficiency than wav is more efficient than mp3. As you have noted, however, mp3 files take up much less space than wav files. In this sense thet are more efficient but you may experience some loss of the original source material by transfering from ram to mp3. This may not be a problem for you depending on a variety of other factors. The best test would be to listen to both sets of files and see if yoou can discern a meaningful difference between your wav copies and your mp3 copies.
    Incidentally, to convert your mp3 files for burning in cd format, they will have to be converted to wav files anyway. Some programs will do this "automatically" but you can also use dMC for this purpose.
    Also, you have a wider variety of possible formats to save to that you can use with dMC. These include some "lossless" formats (including FLAC and Monkeys Audio). "Lossless" formats promise to convert your audio files with virtually no loss of sound data from the original source material. Some of these will compress the information in a wav file to about a quarter of the size of a wav file (which is still much larger than than the size of an mp3 file). There are other "lossy" file formats including Ogg Vorbis which you find that you prefer to the mp3 format.
    You can check out the codecs for these and other formats through the Codec Central site (click on the Downloads link). You can find more information on these topics by reviewing your dMC Help file and by browsing this site as well.
    Hope this helps.
    best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

Thanks Bill. My question was poorly worded, your answer was good. Bottom line is that I have some .ram files that are soundboard gig recordings and I want to write them to CD Audio so that some fans without PC's can enjoy them. "Efficient" was a bad choice of word. What I was concerned about was sound quality and my hearing isn't as good as others so I just wanted to make sure I was getting the best possible sound quality on the CD. Sounds like wav is the way to go in this case. Regards.

Comment

• coolbreeze
        • Jun 2003

I cant get get Ra- MP3, or Wav. to work.

how did you go about doing this? I try to save the real audio file i want, and i eventuall noticed that it saves a 44kb file, or even less somtimes. When the conversion is done, ive tired both wav. and mp3., It ends up being a 1kb file and it doesnt work.

what am i supposed to do to get the real audio files to convert. The ones im trying to do are pretty long because they are dj sets, does it matter?

Comment

• Unregistered

Im also having the same problem... do we need something additional to make this conversion work??

Originally posted by coolbreeze
          how did you go about doing this? I try to save the real audio file i want, and i eventuall noticed that it saves a 44kb file, or even less somtimes. When the conversion is done, ive tired both wav. and mp3., It ends up being a 1kb file and it doesnt work.

what am i supposed to do to get the real audio files to convert. The ones im trying to do are pretty long because they are dj sets, does it matter?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Make sure you have the Real Player 8 installed.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>