title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ignore file extension

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kurtly
    • May 2007

Ignore file extension

I recently had a hard drive failure, so I am trying to get everything back up and running the way it was before..

I record live bands on a dvd recorder, I then rip the dvd to avi, extract the audio, sweeten it a bit and put it back into the video file. I use virtualdub's "direct stream copy" to extract the ac3 stream, which it saves with a .wav extension.

I used to be able to click these ".wav" files and convert to wave using dmc 14 reference (and lots of earlier versions). When I try that now it gives me an error, it obviously thinks that because the extension is wav that they are wav files when previously it knew they were not. If I change the file extension to .ac3 it can convert them fine but this is cumbersome and annoying when it used to do it seamlessly.

What have I missed, is there a setting I'm missing in dmc, or is it something else?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ignore file extension

You might have previously installed an AC3 Wave ACM codec (this is a system wide codec and not dBpoweramp specific).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Kurtly
      • May 2007

I have ac3file installed. As I said, if the extension is ac3 it works no worries.

I just did a test and renamed an ogg vorbis file to .wav, the tried to convert it, same problem..

It works if the extension is correct but fails if incorrect. It used to just figure it out and do it anyway :(

Originally posted by Spoon
      You might have previously installed an AC3 Wave ACM codec (this is a system wide codec and not dBpoweramp specific).

Comment

• Kurtly
        • May 2007

Issue solved. I installed the K-Lite Codec pack and this has made everything work as I wanted.

Comment

Working...

]]>