title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

cd drive slowing down after a few cds being ripped.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dcbahr
    • Mar 2011

cd drive slowing down after a few cds being ripped.

Hi gang,

So, I'm sure this question has been asked before, forgive me.

I am running a quadcore system, 8 gb of ram, win7 64 bit, and have an HP DVD Writer, model 1270D. After I rip a few cds, I'm working on this big jazz set of 500 discs, the drive seems to slow down and I get a ripping speed of 7x (have gotten as low as 4-5x) or so. I think this is a 40x read drive, not sure about the write as I rarely do any writing of discs.

Is this just a CD buffer internal issue? I find that sometimes if I open and close the drive it starts back up, the ripping speed seems to be aroun 20-28x during a normal rip, and I'm using the mp3 helix codec. If the drive does not pick up to that 20-28x speed, it's around 7x as I said and take 5 mins (that's a guess) as apposed to maybe 2 for a regular rip.

So, if it's a crappy drive, I'm totally open for suggestions about one that will do maybe a better job ripping. I just want these to turn out well. I know we have our own audio opinions, but these are old recordings so it really doesn't matter about compressed or not compressed, least I don't think so.

Anyway, apologies for the long post to what I hope is a pretty simple question.

Thanks, as always, a fantastic product, and one that works well with a screen reader, actually.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: cd drive slowing down after a few cds being ripped.

Perhaps it is the drive, when it warms up.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dcbahr
      • Mar 2011

is there a particular drive that doesn't do this but rips at a fast speed all the time? I'm very open to suggestions on this one, cause it's a really loud drive as well which I don't like. you know, it was generic and so I just threw it in the build for something to have but it's not my fave drive. thanks Spoon

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The few A Open drives I had in the past ripped very fast (10x to x40)
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>