title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Helix won't convert to a lower bitrate?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D_Stevens
    • Mar 2010

Helix won't convert to a lower bitrate?

So, I just upgraded to Reference (I had PowerPack) because I wanted to be able to take advantage of the fact that I have a Phenom quad-proc in my new computer. The problem I seem to be having is that, while dB will "convert" my files using Helix, it won't convert them to the lower bitrate that I want. LAME works just fine and I'm able to use all four cores of the processor (getting 67x encoding speed), so it's not like it's an absolute MUST that I get Helix to work right. I'm just wondering if anyone might know why Helix would refuse to encode at a lower bitrate? And is there any major benefit, other than the speed, to using Helix? They're both lossy, aren't they?

Thanks!
  • D_Stevens
    • Mar 2010

Re: Helix won't convert to a lower bitrate?

Quick clarification, if it matters... I'm referring to the MP3 Helix, rather than the Real Audio Helix.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Helix is geared for speed, but you only have the bitrates presented to choose from.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• D_Stevens
        • Mar 2010

That's the problem, though... The bitrate I want (128kbps) is visible as an option on the slider bar for Constant bitrate. LAME converts them just fine, whereas Helix goes through the motions of converting them - to a file with the same (original) bitrate. So it's not a matter of not having the bitrate available as an option, so much as it's an issue with Helix not actively converting to the bitrate I'd chosen.

But, like I said... It's really not a huge deal since being able to use my quad-proc (since I upgraded to Reference) makes the task about 5 times faster than it was before, even if I'm only getting 65x conversion speed, though it would've been nice to tap into the 100X range - especially when you consider the sheer number of files I'm looking to convert. :o
        Last edited by D_Stevens; November 04, 2010, 09:13 PM. Reason: Added information, mang.

Comment

Working...

]]>