title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can dMC switch FLAC tags from ID3 to Vorbis?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JulianL
    • Nov 2007

Can dMC switch FLAC tags from ID3 to Vorbis?

Up until about 18 months ago I used EAC and MP3Tag to rip/tag my CDs. This was on a computer that has been decommissioned for almost a year so I have no access to my old rip/tag environment but it is very clear from looking at the FLAC files in my Squeezebox library that these files have been tagged with ID3v2.3.0 and ID3v1.1 format tags. People in the Squeezebox forum are all telling me that ID3 tags in FLAC files is a bad idea and that they should all be Vorbis so, although I don't plan to do anything immediately because all these files work OK, I would like to understand what I could do to fix the situation without re-ripping over 600 CDs from the original media.

Am I doomed? The thing that worries me is that in dMC there is an option on the FLAC codec to set the tag type to ID3 (various versions) or Vorbis and I have played with this option on a few new rips and it does behave as expected. I'm scared that at rip time there is something set in the header of a container somewhere in the file that says what format of tags should be written into that container so, even if I deleted all tags on one of these old FLAC files and added them back with dMC, it would read this flag on the container, see that the files were originally created to have ID3 format tags, and so write the replacement tags as ID3 format and leave me back where I started.

Are my fears justified?

Is there any way to migrate the flags on my old FLAC files to be Vorbis comments without re-ripping from source?

Do you share the view of the people in the SB forum that ID3 in FLAC is a bad thing to do? (I did notice that the option in dMC to set it for the FLAC codec does say "(not recommended)" next to it so I'm guessing that the answer is yes on this question.)

- Julian
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Can dMC switch FLAC tags from ID3 to Vorbis?

The Update IDTag utility codec will convert the FLAC id3v2 tags to vorbis comments, but it will not read id3v1
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Teknojnky
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2006

anything other than vorbis is non-standard

that said, its been mentioned in the past that some hardware players (car audio/dvd players) that can read flac files, will only read id3 tags (which of course is non-standard).

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

ID3v2 used to be the standard for FLAC tagging many many years ago...
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>