title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD rip trouble

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

CD rip trouble

Using the DMC Audio ripper exhibits odd behavior on my machine. I have a PII 400 with a Plexwriter 8/4/32 and 256 MB RAM running Windows XP SP1. I initially had trouble when I enabled digital audio, your program would not recognize the CD. When I disabled this in the drive properties, it read the CD fine. I recall that this drive did not support digital audio under Windows 98 as well, so I am not surprised.

The odd behaviour now is when I attempt to rip a track, the completion bar sits at 0%, the drive spins, but no audio is extracted and the program appears to hang and I must kill the task in task manager. I have tried all the various codecs, wave, MP3, etc, with the same effect. I have also tried changing the CD command set, but not the communication setting. What is truly bizarre is that after killing the program, the CD-ROM will disappear from My Computer. If I attempt to alter the drive properties by selecting one of my two hard drives and then selecting the CD-ROM drive properties from there, an error appears under device status that an instance of this driver already exists in memory (code 38).

What am I doing wrong? The drive appears to work fine in all other instances.

Thank you.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Try Audio CD Input >> Options >> Advanced >> Communication >> NT/2000 Built in (Limited).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

Follow up questions

Thanks, the alternate communication setting works fine. I have a couple questions:

Do I have to use the alternative setting since my drive does not support digital audio? When I bought this drive several years ago, most drives supported digital audio, I am surprised mine does not.

Is the rip from the CD still digital? I assume so since the rip occurs at greater than real time. Is there a quality trade off using the alternative setting and does the slow, accurate rip setting make any difference in this mode? This drive is getting a bit dated and it would seem that if I sprung for a new one that I would have the added benefit of digital audio and faster burning.

Sorry for all the questions, before Windows XP I had Audio FS installed under Win 98 and never needed to rip a track from CD, the track already appeared as a wave file.

Thank you very much.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It is all still in digital, just that command set that works for you.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>