title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Wierd r14 behaviour on NAS

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JulianL
    • Nov 2007

Wierd r14 behaviour on NAS

I keep my music files on a NAS and I'm getting some wierd behaviour. When I try to delete files created with dbPA it takes ages and if I'm too quick I get errors. Here's my scenario.

1) Copy a folder containing FLAC files for a previously ripped CD into a temporary working folder on my internal hard drive.

2) Select all files and use dbPA to fix up the tagging and add cover art from the internet.

3) Use dbPA "Convert to..." to create some 128kbs AAC CBR versions for my iPhone.

4) Copy the created AAC files back to a folder on my NAS.

5) <Repeat the above for as many albums as I have the patience to do in a day>

My problem is with the folder created in step (4) above. If I find that I made a mistake and want to delete the files then if I select them all and hit delete it tends to delete all but 2 or 3 which give the Windows (Win 7 Pro 64 bit) error: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Provides Audio Information for dBpoweramp .... <filename> .... Error: Decoder appears to have frozen, corrupt audio file?"

I've noticed that as soon as I highlight all the files in preparation for selecting "Delete" from the context menu I see the green progress bar start to move across the pathname box of the Windows folder window. This green bar goes quite slowly but if I wait the 20 seconds or so to let it complete before hitting delete then at that point I get a clean deletion of all selected files without any error messages.

Does something in dbPA get called as soon as an audio file is selected in Windows explorer, even before the context menu is pulled up let alone any dbPA action selected from it?

Is there any way I can get around this? I can sort of live with it but needing to wait 20 or 30 seconds after selecting files before I can reliably invoke an operation on them really slows down my working with audio files and it's pretty annoying.

- Julian
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Wierd r14 behaviour on NAS

In dBpoweramp Configuration disable the Explorer Helpers (popup info, thunmbnail and property handler, etc), Windows is trying to read the metadata for these files over the network.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• JulianL
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
      In dBpoweramp Configuration disable the Explorer Helpers (popup info, thunmbnail and property handler, etc), Windows is trying to read the metadata for these files over the network.
      Thanks Spoon, that fixed it. It doesn't say much for the performance of my NAS but I was thinking of changing it anyhow so maybe that's a good thing - one more excuse to go ahead and upgrade it!

- Julian

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It could be the network is the slow part, not the nas.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>