title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Dynamic option and multiple users

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Balthazar-B
    • Dec 2009

Dynamic option and multiple users

I'm currently in the eval period with dbPowerAmp Reference, and have one question before I pull the trigger on a purchase:

I'm running it on an XP Pro box. Installed the application under an admin account, and using that account I appear to have full functionality. Following info in other threads, I expanded permissions to the right directories (install folder, destination folders) to local Users, but when I log into a local account without admin privileges and try using Multi Encoder with the Flac and AAC encoders, in both cases the Dynamic options are greyed out.

Now I understand there's no Dynamic option if the install is not Reference, so my question is whether dbPowerAmp thinks any non-admin account (or an account that did not install the application) is by definition *not* running the Reference version.

The scenario I'd like this to support is to have my wife and I tag team on ripping our huge CD collection to a common repository, but under our own non-admin accounts on the same workstation. Will this not work, or how do I tweak the install/config so that it does?

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Dynamic option and multiple users

The registered version is registered in the actual code, so does not matter which user account is used.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Balthazar-B
      • Dec 2009

Thanks for the quick reply! So what else might account for the Dynamic options being greyed out for a non-admin user but not an admin user? To be a little more specific, with the non-admin user, I can set the destination folder, but regardless of where it is (even \My Documents\My Music), Dynamic is not editable. Now this is using Multi Encoder. If I just choose a Flac codec, I can set the destination path and then edit the filename format via the Set button with the Naming field.

I saw in a thread somewhere that you suggested granting admin rights to a user temporarily, installing the application, doing a quick test rip, then reverting rights back to simple user. Would this mean installing twice on the same machine under two different accounts (and having user-specific info written to respective HKCU hives)?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

If you have a trial of Reference, the trial is activated only in the local account.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Balthazar-B
          • Dec 2009

An update: I did as was recommended elsewhere and installed dbPowerAmp under the second ID (elevated to Admin) and all the Dynamic options were there in CD Ripper. I haven't reverted to Limited permissions yet, but for now both user accounts are working properly. I'll post an update when I revert the user account and do some experimentation.

The bits for both installs are common to C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\, but I'm surmising that something is written to each user's HKCU hive that fixes Dynamic (and who knows what else).

Thanks again for your responses over the holidays!
          Last edited by Balthazar-B; December 25, 2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>