title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Level change when changing stereo to mono

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steven
    • Nov 2009

Level change when changing stereo to mono

Hi,

I've noticed a level change when converting stereo files to mono files- an increase of 1.9dB measured using a -18dBFS reference tone. I noticed this because I used a VST DSP effect (a peak limiter) and its "ceiling" level, which I had set to -0.5dBFS was being exceeded into digital distortion. Am I correct in this conclusion or is something else at play? Obviously summing signals can lead to a level change (+6dB for phase coherent identical level signals) but software often compensates for this.
  • Steven
    • Nov 2009

Re: Level change when changing stereo to mono

OK, a bit more forum searching found this post here where it says the channels are summed together. So.... why am I seeing only a 1.9dB increase in level? Any ideas?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Re: Level change when changing stereo to mono

They are summed with slight gain, you can use a DSP effect Volume Normalize and set a fixed reduction before the summing (before Volume Normalize use the DSP effect Bit depth and set to floating point, then the last effect back to 16 bit).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>