title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Replaygain tags missing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dph
    • Apr 2009

Replaygain tags missing

I'm trying to use the Batch Converter to apply both album and track ReplayGain to existing MP3 files (that were not ripped using dBpoweramp). The Converter runs with no errors. When I check for the replaygain tags, I find most them, but they're missing from MP3s in a few folders. I've tried running the Batch Converter on just one folder or just one file at a time with no success. No errors, but no visible ReplayGain tags.

I've tried checking for the ReplayGain tags using:
    * Foobar2000
    * Right-clicking on an MP3 and selecting "Edit ID-Tag"
    * MP3Tag (with columns set to display "replay_album_gain" and "replay_track_gain")

Here are the audio properties of one MP3 that doesn't seem to accept the ReplayGain tags:
    =============
    Artist Carlos Santana
    Title Blues for Salvador
    Album Blues for Salavador
    Track 9
    Disc
    Genre Blues
    Year 1987
    Rating
    Composer
    Size 8.17 MB (87% Compressed)
    Original Size 60.19 MB
    Length 5 minutes 57 seconds
    Channels 2 (stereo)
    Sample Rate 44.1 KHz{CR}
    Sample Size 16 bit
    Bit Rate 191 kbps
    Encoder LAME 3.92
    Encoder Settings Variable Bit Rate 191 kbps
    Audio Quality High (Lossy)
    Contains ID Tag [ID3v2 (ANSI) & ID3v1.1]
    Channel Mapping Left, Right
    File 09 Blues For Salvador
    Type MP3 Format Sound [.mp3]
    =============

Do I need to somehow "repair" or change ID Tag settings?

Software versions:
    dBpoweramp Reference release 13.3
    ReplayGain release 2

Thanks...
  • jfkaess
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2005

Re: Replaygain tags missing

I have a similar problem. I am trying to apply replay gain to some .m4a apple lossless files. I have tried replay gain, replay gain (applied) and volume normalize, but none of these seem to have any effect and make no modification to the ID tags, though my goal is to actuaslly modify the files, not just the ID tags.

Can .m4a apple lossless files be adjusted for replay gain? If so, how is it done.

I have dbpoweramp 13.3 reference and most recent dsp effects (release 5) and replay gain codec (release 2).

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

jfkaess - you need to use 'Volume Normalize' and select the replaygain option.

OP: Which 'encoder' or DSP effects are you using?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dph
        • Apr 2009

Unfortunately, I don't know what was used to encode the problem MP3s.

FWIW: I tried using foobar2000 to apply ReplayGain on the affected MP3s. The ReplayGain tags now show up under foobar2000 and MP3Tag, but not in any other windows ("Audio Properties", "ID-Tag", "Edit ID-Tag").

Weird.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

foobar writes id3v2.4 tags which dBpoweramp R13 would not read or write.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dph
            • Apr 2009

That leaves me with two questions:

1. Which ID Tag format does dBpoweramp R13 use to write ReplayGain tags?

2. Do you have any theories why dBpoweramp is unable to write ReplayGain tags to some MP3s?

Thanks for helping me narrow this down.

Comment

• dph
              • Apr 2009

Followup:

It appears that dbPoweramp writes id3v2.3 tags by default. I've kept multiple copies of the "problem" MP3s, which allows me to fall back and experiment. Here's what I've found, according to the "Audio Properties" tab:

* As mentioned in my initial post, the original tags showed as [ID3v2 (ANSI) & ID3v1.1]

* After applying dbPoweramp's ReplayGain, the tag remained [ID3v2 (ANSI) & ID3v1.1]

* After running foobar2000's ReplayGain, the tag showed as [ID3v1.1] only.

I tried converting one of the "problem" MP3s to id3v2.3 using dBpoweramp's ID Tag Update Utility following the Help instructions, but it simply removed all tag info (!).

Is there a way to manipulate these "problem" MP3s so that dBpoweramp can write ReplayGain tags to them or am I going at this all wrong? Can I send you one to troubleshoot?

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Foobar can be set to write v2.3 there is a compatibility option.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dph
                  • Apr 2009

I sure hope I'm not belaboring, but I'm still in the dark about my original question: Why would the Batch Converter be unable to write ReplayGain tags to some MP3 files?

If the Batch Converter is actually writing the ReplayGain tags, shouldn't they show up when I right-click on the MP3 and select dBPoweramp's "Audio Properties" tab?

Ultimately, is there a fix/workaround that would allow the Batch Converter to write the ReplayGain tags to the stubborn MP3s?

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

If a file has a id3v2.4 tag, then dBpoweramp cannot write a v2.3 tag to it.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dph
                      • Apr 2009

Just letting everyone know that I resolved my issue by first running the "ID Tag Update" utility codec on the 'problem' MP3s, then running "ReplayGain."

I'm guessing that I could have run both utilities at once, but I didn't try that.

Thanks...

Comment

Working...

]]>