title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

volume normalise

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • martincooke
    • Aug 2009

volume normalise

Hi

Have really enjoyed listening in my home to music (mostly classical) ripped using this software (to FLAC) ... however it has too big a dynamic range for use in the car (lots of very quiet bits). Intend to create a 'car copy' (in MP3 for use with IPOD) and can see the DSP effects for normalising volume but cant find any detailed help on how the different effects work (e.g. love the Spoon guide to audio etc but cant find anything on normalising?) is there a detailed guide or a recommended approach anywhere?

Dynamic looks like the answer - am I starting in the best place?

Does 'dynamic' include 'peak to peak'? ie do I need to do a peak to peak copy first and then a dynamic copy (two pass) or is one pass with dynamic sufficient?

What settings would should generally be used with dynamic for creating a version of classical for the car?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

M
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: volume normalise

Dynamic would be the one to use in the car, it effectively does peak to peak on a rolling snap shot window.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• martincooke
      • Aug 2009

Hi

Thank-you for responding but apologies for still being confused! :o

Think Dynamic increase the the volume of quiet bits within a track. Think that 'peak to peak' makes the peak volume the same across different tracks (in an album)

So to get both peak volume normalised across different tracks and dynamic range reduced within a track ... do I need to do one conversion with Peak to Peak and then subsequent conversion with Dynamic? Or, does Dynamic do both in one pass?

Thanks

Martin

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You only need dynamic
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• martincooke