title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC -> mp3 Date / Year tag conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • totient
    • Feb 2009

FLAC -> mp3 Date / Year tag conversion

Spoon,

I agree with your position on the tag mapping "Year to Date", but I do not think that "Date to Year" is valid. I have many FLAC files with Date tags in yyyy-mm-dd format. When converting to mp3, these values are copied into the 'Year' field, but are not valid values. To quote the ID3v2.3 standard
    "The 'Year' frame is a numeric string with a year of the recording. This frames is always four characters long (until the year 10000)."
    The TDAT ('Date') frame allows for DDMM, to complete the date.
    The non-standard 'Year' tags that the converter is currently generating cause some confusion in some other software.

The fact that the Vorbis Date does not have a standard format is certainly problematic, but I would love to see one of

1) an attempt to parse out common date formats, or at least isolate the year
    2) A way to specify source date format and convert to TYER and possibly TDAT frames in the ID3 tag.

Thanks,

totient
  • gremlin
    • May 2010

Re: FLAC -> mp3 Date / Year tag conversion

I have the same question: When I convert FLAC to MP3, the Year is populated with the date format from my FLAC files -- that is, YYYY MM DD. This format seems to be invalid for the MP3 Year field. It also seems that some players, such as MediaMonkey, won't display the data in the Year field unless it's in the YYYY format.

Is there any way to re-format the data in the Year field in the MP3 files?

Comment

Working...

]]>