title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Bug: ID Tag Update deletes "COMMENT ITUNNORM" and other iTunes tags in mp3 files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tewill
    • Apr 2009

Bug: ID Tag Update deletes "COMMENT ITUNNORM" and other iTunes tags in mp3 files

Some background:

- I use dMC to rip my CDs to FLAC, then encode to mp3.

- I use Mp3tag to add the Apple Sound Check tag "COMMENT ITUNNORM" to my mp3 files.

- I use iTunes to add the tags ARTISTSORTORDER and BANDSORTORDER to my mp3 files, for sorting purposes in iTunes (which in iTunes are addressed as "Sort Artist" and "Sort Album Artist" respectively).

- I'm using the latest dbpoweramp programs and codecs (dMC Registered Reference Release 13.2, etc.).

The problem I'm seeing:

Yesterday I used the dMC ID Tag Update codec to add a comment to both the FLAC and mp3 versions of an album. I then happened to notice that the "COMMENT ITUNNORM" tag was missing from the mp3 version of the album. So, I went and checked all my mp3 files (using Mp3tag) and noticed that the "COMMENT ITUNNORM" tag was missing from every album for which I had ever edited tags using dMC ID Tag Update (including using the previous v13.1).

I then did some testing, and found that using dMC ID Tag Update to either add a tag or delete a tag from an mp3 will inadvertently delete the "COMMENT ITUNNORM" tag. I did some further testing, and found that this also is the case for the iTunes tags ARTISTSORTORDER and BANDSORTORDER.

I didn't see this already entered; is it a known issue? It's a significant problem for me, because I can't then use dMC to update tags unless I also want to then go and fix the tags that are inadvertently deleted (which isn't ideal, as using the dbpoweramp Batch Conveter is a very powerful way to update tags).

Can you take a look into this?

Thanks -
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Bug: ID Tag Update deletes "COMMENT ITUNNORM" and other iTunes tags in mp3 files

Hmmm, I tried to duplicate this and found the following. With COMMENT ITUNNORM in my mp3 files, if I edited COMMENT within ID TAG UPDATE (and COMMENT does show up as a separate field from COMMENT ITUNNORM), I lose the COMMENT ITUNNORM field all together. If I remove other fields or edit other fields (that is other than COMMENT), the COMMENT ITUNNORM field is left alone is still there with value as expected. So yes, editing COMMENT seems to blow away the COMMENT ITUNNORM field. Seems odd given that ID TAG UPDATE actually recognizes these as two separate fields (unlike foobar2000).

Comment

• tewill
      • Apr 2009

Re: Bug: ID Tag Update deletes "COMMENT ITUNNORM" and other iTunes tags in mp3 files

In my testing today, I was also able to reproduce this (i.e. inadvertent deletion of all three tags I mention above) both by deleting the album artist tag or adding the album artist tag via ID Tag Update. And, the older, other mp3s I found to have the COMMENT ITUNNORM tag unexpectedly missing all had different tags edited using dMC 13.1 (from what I remember, not only changing album artist, but also deleting and adding album art and deleting and adding genre).

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Anyone else have comments on this issue? Seems like a big deal if editing tags causes other recognized tags to be modified or removed.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Update ID Tag is more agressive than a normal right click >> Edit Tag, in that the tag is read, removed and rewritten to the file.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• tewill
            • Apr 2009

Thanks for the response Spoon. Regardless of that aggressiveness, I imagine it isn't a desired artifact to have tags, which are written by other programs, deleted when using ID Tag Update, though, right? Just trying to get a pulsecheck as to whether you see this as a bug.

Again, it's fairly significant for me b/c at the very least it limits my use of the Batch Converter to modify tags. Thanks again -

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

And my earlier point about losing COMMENT ITUNNORM when I edited the COMMENT tag, is actually when I'm just using regular 'right click' "Edit ID Tag" (rather than converting with ID TAG UPDATE). So it still seems odd to me that I would lose one tag when editing another when dbpa recognizes both tags as separate fields.

Comment

• nab128
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Mar 2006

I noticed this back in r11 days:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=10061#3

Your iTunes comment frames aren't disappearing, they are being converted to standard text (TXXX) frames as the tag writer in dMC cannot handle more than 1 comment frame. If you are converting I guess you want normalization tags to disappear, but not if you are editing a comment!

You could convert the TXXX frames back to comment frames with Mp3tag if you really need to.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by nab128
                  I noticed this back in r11 days:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=10061#3

Your iTunes comment frames aren't disappearing, they are being converted to standard text (TXXX) frames as the tag writer in dMC cannot handle more than 1 comment frame. If you are converting I guess you want normalization tags to disappear, but not if you are editing a comment!

You could convert the TXXX frames back to comment frames with Mp3tag if you really need to.
                  Aha. thanks. Not a big deal for me because my last step in processing mp3 files I create with dbpa is mp3tag where I convert replaygain values to itunnorm. I just have to remember not to edit comment tag within dbpa after that point...

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Will note as an issue to look at.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• djs777
                      • Mar 2009

I just encountered the wonderful world of how different tag editors handle certain iTunes tags. The hard way. Is the issue above still outstanding, or has Update ID Tag been modified to better rpeserve iTunes tags like ITUNNORM? thanks

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

I do not think so.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• twit
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Jul 2010

You don't think this problem has been resolved? When will it? I won't buy anything that can't preserve iTunes tags. Thank You.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

The code has been completed and tested, the next R14 beta (next week) will correct this issue.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>