title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Does this music converter thing convert m4a's into mp3's ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sumguy99
    • Mar 2009

Does this music converter thing convert m4a's into mp3's ???

The music converter program doesn't seem to want to let me select m4a files.

Did I just install the wrong program if I want to convert m4a files into something else (like mp3 or wav) ???
  • eboyer93
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2008

Re: Does this music converter thing convert m4a's into mp3's ???

Did you download the nero m4a encoder/decoder that it tells you to download when you install m4a codec from codec central?

Comment

• sumguy99
      • Mar 2009

> Did you download the nero m4a encoder/decoder that it tells you
      > to download when you install m4a codec from codec central?

Where does it say that? Why all the rigamarole with codec's and crap?

Is there no simple way to convert m4a's into something else?

Codec Central? I thought all you got from them are files full of malware, viruses and trojans...

Comment

• eboyer93
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Apr 2008

before you can convert m4a files you need to download this:

Then after you install it, a page will pop up in your browser. Read it and it will tell you to download Nero aac encoder and there will be a link. It will also tell you where to extract a certain file you downloaded from Nero.

There is no easier way to convert to m4a using dBpoweramp, you have to install the m4a codec.

There is no malware, trojans, or viruses.
        Last edited by eboyer93; March 07, 2009, 05:28 PM. Reason: Added some things.

Comment

• sumguy99
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by eboyer93
          I installed this file: dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a.exe

And then ran MusicConverter.exe again, but this time it allowed me to select .m4a files. I told it to convert a few to .wav, and it did. I'm playing one of them now. Seems to be fine.

I didn't need anything from Nero (maybe I already have it on my system?).

If I want to convert these m4a's into mp3's, then is it best if I first convert them into WAV, and then I can use other software (EAC) to create the mp3? Will that give better quality sound? Or will direct conversion from m4a to mp3 (using MusicConverter.exe) result in the best sound quality?

Also, how can I find out what the m4a's were sampled at?

Comment

• eboyer93
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Apr 2008

You only need Nero if you want to convert to m4a.

The best way to convert to mp3 would to be a direct conversion because you will get the same quality sound as if you were to convert to wav then mp3. Also you will be able to keep the tag information if you do a direct conversion.

>Also, how can I find out what the m4a's were sampled at?

Hover your mouse over the m4a files and windows should pop giving all this info about the file including the sample rate and sample size.
            Last edited by eboyer93; March 07, 2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>