title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

convert from real player to windows media player

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krayziebiz247
    • Feb 2009

convert from real player to windows media player

i just downloaded dbpoweramp in order to convert my songs from real player to windows media player but i can not figure it out.:vmad: if someone could please walk me through this it would be greatly appreciated!
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: convert from real player to windows media player

I assume you want to convert files from the Real audio codec to the wma codec used by Windows Media Player (although Windows Media Player may well play other formats, such as .mp3 as well). Assuming that these Real audio files are not streaming files and that they are not copy-protected, you can do this conversion using dBpoweramp music converter (dMC).

In addition to the converter itself, you will need to download the Windows Media Audio codec (to convert to .wma, otherwise you could convert to .mp3 without having to install the extra codec). You will also need to install the right material to allow dMC to read your Real Audio files. These materials are collectively are described as the Real Audio Decoder. You will find links to the .wma codec and to the Real Audio Decoder materials at Codec Central (assuming you are using dMC vesion 12 or later).

Installing the WMA codec is easy.

Installing the Real Audio Decoder materials is well described but takes a bit more effort.
    The Real Audio Decoder include Real Alternative (a program that can play Real Audio files and part of whose code is required for dMC to be able to read Real Audio). Real Alternative will require that you disable Real Player (the two programs do not play well together and having both installed can lead to glitches). And then you need to install the dBpoweramp DirectShow filter. There are directions for this. In most cases the DirectShow Filter will automatically configure itself to decode Real Audio files but sometimes it is necessary to manually configure the DirectShow Filter to read Real Audio files. There are directions for how to do this in the Help file for the DirectShow filter if you need it.

If you run into problems with any of these steps, please let us know where you are running into trouble and I'm sure someone can offer more specific advice.

The last thing I want to point it is that if you install Real Alternative, I believe that your Windows Media Player should be able to play these Real Audio files as they are without needing to convert them at all.

Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>