title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting to MP3 (Lame switches & options)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a.wright
    • Jan 2008

Converting to MP3 (Lame switches & options)

I have been encoding at 256kps CBR which to me appears to give a slightly less clinical sound than VBR. However once I start encoding some of the households slightly less aggressive music (i.e. not Slayer/Motorhead etc!) I can probably save a lot more space using VBR and theoretically get the same perceived quality.

Does dMC just use the basic presets for the VBR Lame encoding or does it do some other stuff behind the scenes? The reason I ask is because the -V2 option is supposed to use a target bit rate of around 190kps with a range from 170kps to 210kps. However every time I try it I seem to end up with files reported with a bitrate of between 240kps up to about 260kps! Is the reported bitrate with VBR the maximum or the overall average?

Or have I misunderstood the way this works in that VBR will use whatever it needs to to attain the quality level required? If so how do we ever know how high the bitrate will go when VBR encoding? Could I feasibly end up with a 320kps file when using the -V2 option?
Working...

]]>